Thread: Any preferences?

Any preferences?

Dear friends,

Which Buddhist tradition or teacher have you been finding the most helpful recently, and why?

Stay safe and well.

With metta,

Aloka

Good Afternoon Aloka,

I have a few that I seem to gravitate towards. Some depends on my mood, I think. Probably the 2 that I listen to the most are:
    1. Gil Fronsdal (https://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/)
    2. Ajahn Amaro (https://amaravati.org/biographies/ajahn-amaro/)

But, sometimes I am looking for more superficial/mainstream(?) and I'd listen to Joseph Goldstein. Or if I'm really just wanting entertainment, or wanting to get my "hippie" vibe on for a bit, I'll listen to Ram Das (who I know isn't Buddhist but has a bit of overlap, and was, partly, my introduction to Eastern thought), or Duncan Trussell (who is just a podcaster but is really funny and, with the right guests, can have a bit of an Eastern philosophy).

And lots of others even more randomly caught.

But, I try to make a point to listen to every audio file released from Gil and Ajahn Amaro.

Peace,

-Dave

Tow Zen masters: late Kodo Sawaki and late Taisan Deshimaru. Those teachers guide my path in Buddhism. They founded a movement in Soto Zen that has as core teaching Zazen and just Zazen. This approach to Zen fits well with my temper; I really enjoy Zazen and its a simple practice that leads direct to the cessation of suffering.

Last edited by Esho; 03 Jun 21 at 08:54.

Like to follow Ajahn Amaro, and Ajahn Brahm. They are both very good. I also enjoy Ajahn Sumedho. Brilliant guys.

Hello Aloka,

recently two teachers who refer to the Theravada tradition.

On the one hand Stephen Batchelor. He is a secular Buddhist, but his primary source is nowadays the Pali Kanon. I recommend his book "After Buddhism - Rethinking the Dharma for a Secular Age"

On the other hand Ajahn Brahm. Though I don't share his beliefs about reincarnation/rebirth he has the talent of condensing the teachings down. He presents them in simple words and with everyday example. Especially that, I find useful with respect to daily-life-practice.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 4:50 AM Tue, 6:50 AM Tue, 12:50 PM Tue, 5:20 PM Tue, 7:50 PM Tue, 9:50 PM