Thread: Practising Patience

Practising Patience

Patience (khanti) is one of the 10 perfections (parami)

There's a chapter with that title in Ajahn Sumedho's little book "The Way it is" - and the last two paragraphs caught my eye:

That evening I could see what misery I could create in my mind over things that one can bear. I remember that as a very clear insight of what I thought was miserable, and what really is miserable. At first I was blaming the people, the loudspeakers, the disruption, the noise and the discomfort - I thought that was the problem. Then I realised that it wasn't, it was my mind that was miserable.

If we reflect on and contemplate Dhamma, we learn from the very situations which we like the least - if we have the will to do so.

https://cdn.amaravati.org/wp-content...hn-sumedho.pdf
    How about you? Are you very patient in your everyday life?

One of my favourite texts is Shantideva's Bodhicharyavatara, and my favourite chapter in it is the chapter on patience. This verse, in particular, resonates with me:
    Why be unhappy about something if it can be remedied?
    And what is the use of being unhappy about something if it cannot be remedied?
    (Stephen Batchelor's translation)
    Having said which, my relationship with patience is mostly aspirational! I think I am more patient to sentient beings than I used to be, but I can get quite impatient with inanimate objects.

Om mani padme hum
    Kathy

Hi Kathy, I have a copy of the same book - and found verse 53 of the chapter on patience very helpful to remember on one or two occasions in my past!

Since disrespect, harsh speech
    And unpleasant words
    Do not cause any harm to my body,
    Why,mind, do you become so angry?

With metta,

Aloka

I like to think I am patient in my everyday life. I try not to get caught up in the whole hurry, inpatient kind of life. I don’t get involved in road rage incidents and I don’t let my monkey mind dictate my actions. Yes I still work on the whole monkey mind thing. That being said... I didn’t say that it’s not a struggle. I have to stay aware of it.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 2:34 PM Sun, 4:34 PM Sun, 10:34 PM Mon, 3:04 AM Mon, 5:34 AM Mon, 7:34 AM