Thread: Wisdom for troubled times

Wisdom for troubled times

A short video from Joseph Goldstein (just over 3 minutes).

Any thoughts about what he said ?

Forums Member
    He makes a lot of sense. The only problem is that it could make them sound like an act of will. Unfortunately they are the result of an act of will to spend years of your life developing these things as a Buddhist, and then you will be in a position to act on them when the occasion arises.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I can see what you mean, Phil. But I don't think that reduces the level of the advice that Joseph Goldstein is giving.

In these troubled times -or in any troubled times, unhook yourself from reactivity, see what's there with discernment, leave the emotional reaction out of it. Even without years of Buddhist practice, it's possible to try to do this. Try and fail, maybe. But as Samuel Beckett said, Try again. Fail again. Fail better!

Goldstein's theme is that equanimity develops from non-reactivity, and compassion develops from equanimity. It's something we can all work on.

I agree Woodscooter, in that Joseph Goldstein has in this video that equanimity from non reactivity develops accordingly

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 5:46 AM Sun, 7:46 AM Sun, 1:46 PM Sun, 6:16 PM Sun, 8:46 PM Sun, 10:46 PM