Thread: The choice

The choice

Hello board.

Did you start right away with Buddhism in your spirituality practice ?

It is likely most people on this board were raised Catholics. Why did you leave the Church ?

What made you go like ''Ok Buddhism is what I need the most, I gotta swich to the Buddha's teaching' ?

As for me, it was the progressive and demonstrative way of Thich Nhat Hanh

The Heart Of The Buddha's Teaching that made me realize there is no better path for me.

Forums Member
    Hi BlueFaky. No, I was brought up Methodist, which is about the lowest church you can get. I got into Buddhism through experimenting with meditation. A few people I know used to go to his talks and eventually left the Buddhist centre I used to attend to be followers. I like a lot of his work but nothing which would encourage me to follow him like that.

Very late starter here, just happy I found it, the escape that way of looking at things, all of it!

I was raised as a non-denominational non-churchgoing nominal Christian. (Mother Catholic, father non-practising Anglican / Church of England.) Growing up in the 1960s, I was curious about eastern religions. One day, I was in a bookstore, feeling nostalgic for the 60s (which I had been too young to enjoy) and came across a book by Alan Watts on Zen. Remembering that Zen had been a big thing in the 60s, I bought the book.

Say what you will about Alan Watts, he was a good popularizer. Everything in the book made sense, so I made notes on all his references and ordered the books. The feeling of familiarity was eerie. Here I am, 40 years later, and still a Buddhist.

Om mani padme hum
    Kathy

I was raised Catholic in a very abusive Catholic orphanage, needless to say that I stayed Catholic as long as it took me to get out of there. In my twenties I met a Buddhist who shared some of the general teachings with me. The Four Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path etc. That’s what got me interested.

My parents were catholic. I wasn't. I was desperate to quench suffering so I found a Buddhist Book; I read it and it was what I was looking for. Since then during a long time I kept looking for the correct tradition and then I found Zazen. I devote my life to Zazen now and suffering has quenched.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 2:06 PM Sat, 4:06 PM Sat, 10:06 PM Sun, 2:36 AM Sun, 5:06 AM Sun, 7:06 AM