Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Live online meeting

Today we discussed:

1. Why does Dependent Origination refer to: "aging-and-death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and despair come to be". Javier answered because sorrow & grief arise from the death of a loved one.

2. Aloka read the definitions of birth, aging & death from SN 12.2 and I mentioned how these three definitions share the phrase: "the various beings in this or that group of beings".

3. I mentioned how the suttas (eg. SN 15.3 or MN 87) refer to sorrow, lamentation & grief over the death of a loved one, such as: "the death of a mother... the death of a father... the death of a brother... the death of a sister... the death of a son... the death of a daughter... loss with regard to relatives... loss with regard to wealth... loss with regard to disease".

4. I suggested "death" is not implicitly the death of aggregates or the body but the death of "a being" or "a person".

5. I suggest "a being" ("satta") is more than mere "self-view" but represents the entirety of the various characteristics or attributes that are imputed upon "the being" created at "jati", similar to a person's CV (curriculum vitae).

6. Javier suggested there are more types of suffering than aging & death and I referred to SN 12.66, which says aging & death are among the many diverse types of suffering that arise in the world, and to SN 22.1, which says any type of change or loss causes suffering when the object of change is attached to as 'self'.

7. It was mentioned to view lifeforms as merely "five aggregates" rather than as "beings" would be very dispassionate & cold.

8. We discussed how metta is practised if experience would only be viewed as "five aggregates" rather than as "beings".

9. Phil mentioned how Mahayana refers to both the Dependent Origination of "beings" and "things". I mentioned the origin of this is probably in the Theravada Abhidhamma (Paṭiccasamuppādavibhaṅga), where the definition of jati was changed from "beings" ("sattanam") to "things" ("dhammam").

10. I said I would post some photos of the Dhamma talks with hippies & backpackers when Ajahn Buddhadada was alive.

Last edited by Element; 18 Sep 21 at 23:27.

Thank you very much for the summary of our group discussion today, Element, and thank you also for sharing your photos of Ajahn Buddhadasa's Dhamma talks in Thailand.

Sorry, no group meeting this week (Saturday 25th). Our next meeting will be Saturday 2nd October.

In the meantime, new posts are always welcome in the main discussion forums on the website.

The members meeting on Saturday 2nd (at the usual time) will also be inclusive of any ideas and suggestions we have regarding general ways forward for the BWB website .

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    The next online meeting, on Saturday 2nd October, will be held at the usual time:

1pm PDT
    3pm CDT
    4pm EDT
    5pm ADT
    9pm BST
    10pm CEST
    1.30am IST (Sunday)
    6am AEST (Sunday)
    8am NZST (Sunday)

The link to the online chat session remains unchanged.

Logged-in members can see the link [here]

Thank you for an interesting and enjoyable chat about Dependent Origination, mjaviem and Element. Hope to see you both again next week!

Hi everyone. Thanks Element for the interesting post and the photos .
    I was out of town this week. But next one I will be able to join you.

The next video/audio meeting will be on Saturday 9th October at the usual time. All members welcome, ideas for new topics always appreciated.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    The next online meeting, on Saturday 9th October, will be held at the usual time:

1pm PDT
    3pm CDT
    4pm EDT
    5pm ADT
    9pm BST
    10pm CEST
    1.30am IST (Sunday)
    6am AEST (Sunday)
    8am NZST (Sunday)

The link to the online chat session remains unchanged.

Logged-in members can see the link [here]

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 3:36 PM Sat, 5:36 PM Sat, 11:36 PM Sun, 5:06 AM Sun, 7:36 AM Sun, 10:36 AM