Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Live online meeting

Thanks very much for your feedback from the meeting, Element.

Thank you also to Esho, Kathy, PhillyG and Woodscooter for attending, & hope to see you all again next week...and maybe a few more of our other members too!

Sorry I missed Saturday meeting. We were traveling to a new town we are looking to move to. So far so good. I will try to be there next week!

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    The next online meeting will be on Saturday 5th June.

The meeting will be at:

1pm PDT
    3pm CDT
    4pm EDT
    5pm ADT
    9pm BST
    10pm CEST
    1.30am IST
    6am AEST

The link to the online chat session remains the same.

Logged-in members can see the link [here]

Please post your suggestions for topics to discuss at this, and following meetings.

Anyone have a suggestion for a discussion topic at today's meeting?

Here's a suggestion from me, how about sharing our views about rebirth and reincarnation ?

....or does anyone else have something different that they'd like to discuss?

Rebirth and reincarnation work for me.

Lovely to see everyone, thanks for coming to the meeting Kathy, Element, PhillyG. Mike and Woodscooter.

Here's a link to the Ajahn Amaro article I mentioned & its also on the Amaravati Monastery website:

https://link.springer.com/article/10...71-019-01179-7

Thank you everyone for the lovely discussion, again.

Some suttas i mentioned today were:

1. DN 11, which describes the Buddha's attitude to psychic powers.

2. Sona Sutta (also Angulimala Sutta), which are examples of the Buddha helping people with the Path using psychic powers.

3. AN 3.15, an extremely rare sutta containing the language of later scriptures (such as the 'Buddhavamsa'), where it is said the Buddha was a chariot maker in a past life, i.e., with the same technology as 2,600 years ago.

Another sutta about psychic powers is MN 119, which says:

[5] "He wields manifold supranormal powers. Having been one he becomes many; having been many he becomes one. He appears. He vanishes. He goes unimpeded through walls, ramparts, & mountains as if through space. He dives in & out of the earth as if it were water. He walks on water without sinking as if it were dry land. Sitting crosslegged he flies through the air like a winged bird. With his hand he touches & strokes even the sun & moon, so mighty & powerful. He exercises influence with his body even as far as the Brahma worlds.

[6] "He hears — by means of the divine ear-element, purified & surpassing the human — both kinds of sounds: divine & human, whether near or far.

[7] "He knows the awareness of other beings, other individuals, having encompassed it with his own awareness. He discerns a mind with passion as a mind with passion, and a mind without passion as a mind without passion. He discerns a mind with aversion as a mind with aversion, and a mind without aversion as a mind without aversion. He discerns a mind with delusion as a mind with delusion, and a mind without delusion as a mind without delusion. He discerns a restricted mind as a restricted mind, and a scattered mind as a scattered mind. He discerns an enlarged mind as an enlarged mind, and an unenlarged mind as an unenlarged mind. He discerns an excelled mind [1] as an excelled mind, and an unexcelled mind as an unexcelled mind. He discerns a concentrated mind as a concentrated mind, and an unconcentrated mind as an unconcentrated mind. He discerns a released mind as a released mind, and an unreleased mind as an unreleased mind.

[9] "He sees — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — beings passing away & re-appearing, and he discerns how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma: 'These beings — who were endowed with bad conduct of body, speech, & mind, who reviled the noble ones, held wrong views and undertook actions under the influence of wrong views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell. But these beings — who were endowed with good conduct of body, speech, & mind, who did not revile the noble ones, who held right views and undertook actions under the influence of right views — with the break-up of the body, after death, have re-appeared in the good destinations, in the heavenly world.' Thus — by means of the divine eye, purified & surpassing the human — he sees beings passing away & re-appearing, and he discerns how they are inferior & superior, beautiful & ugly, fortunate & unfortunate in accordance with their kamma.

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    Some suttas i mentioned today were:

Many thanks, Element

It could be a good idea if you write down some of the conclusions you reach at the meeting... just to know...

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 2:32 AM Sun, 4:32 AM Sun, 10:32 AM Sun, 3:02 PM Sun, 5:32 PM Sun, 7:32 PM