Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: Live online meeting

Very gentle and kind indeed.

One day we could discuss eight precepts, specially precepts 5, 6, 7 and 8 which I see more difficult than the first ones.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    The next online meeting, on Saturday 4th September, will be held at the usual time:

1pm PDT
    3pm CDT
    4pm EDT
    5pm ADT
    9pm BST
    10pm CEST
    1.30am IST (Sunday)
    6am AEST (Sunday)
    8am NZST (Sunday)

The link to the online chat session remains unchanged.

Logged-in members can see the link [here]

Quote Originally Posted by mjaviem View Post

One day we could discuss eight precepts, specially precepts 5, 6, 7 and 8 which I see more difficult than the first ones.
    Perhaps the eight precepts could be discussed this saturday ...unless there are any additional suggestions anyone has for us to consider? As far as know, the eight precepts can be observed by lay practitioners in both the Theravada and Mahayana traditions.

More here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_precepts

and here:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/...atthasila.html

Good topic, Aloka.

I'm not entirely sure if I will be there today. But I'll try.

Greetings Philly

Vinaya on allowable and non-allowable beds - from page 883.

Not allowable

The Canon forbids the use of high and great furnishings. Here the Commentary defines high as above the allowable height (as in Pc 87), and great as covered with improper coverings and decorations. Examples listed in the Canon include: a dais (āsandi—a tall square platform, large enough to lie on—see Pc 87), a throne (pallaṅka—a seat with carvings of fierce animals on the feet), a long-haired coverlet, a decorated coverlet, a white spread made of animal hair, a wool coverlet with floral designs, a blanket of cotton batting, a wool coverlet decorated with animals, a wool covering with fleece on both sides, a wool covering with fleece on one side (I follow the Sub-commentary for these two translations), a silken sheet studded with jewels (or woven with silver or gold threads), a silken sheet decorated with jewels (or fringed with silver or gold), a dancer’s carpet, an elephant-back rug, a horse-back rug, a chariot rug, a spread of black antelope skins, a sheet of kadali-deer hide, a bed with a canopy above, a bed with red cushions at either end.

a bed with red cushions at either end.
    I wonder why red cushions were forbidden and other colours aren't mentioned?

Thank you for coming to the meeting Havier, PhillyG, Element and Woodscooter. I hope more of our members will join us for a chat next week!

The next online meeting, on Saturday 11th September, will be held at the usual time:

1pm PDT
    3pm CDT
    4pm EDT
    5pm ADT
    9pm BST
    10pm CEST
    1.30am IST (Sunday)
    6am AEST (Sunday)
    8am NZST (Sunday)

Sorry guys and girls. Tomorrow I won't be at home in the afternoon so I won't be able to attend this time. A pity, but I'll see you next one. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mjaviem View Post
    Sorry guys and girls. Tomorrow I won't be at home in the afternoon so I won't be able to attend this time. A pity, but I'll see you next one. Thanks.
    I'll miss your input today, mjaviem - and will be looking forward to seeing you again next week!

. New discussion topics are always welcome, everyone....

The next online meeting, on Saturday 18th September, will be held at the usual time:

1pm PDT
    3pm CDT
    4pm EDT
    5pm ADT
    9pm BST
    10pm CEST
    1.30am IST (Sunday)
    6am AEST (Sunday)
    8am NZST (Sunday)

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 8:59 PM Fri, 10:59 PM Sat, 4:59 AM Sat, 9:29 AM Sat, 11:59 AM Sat, 1:59 PM