Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: Live online meeting

Today we discussed:

1. Why does Dependent Origination refer to: "aging-and-death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and despair come to be". Javier answered because sorrow & grief arise from the death of a loved one.

2. Aloka read the definitions of birth, aging & death from SN 12.2 and I mentioned how these three definitions share the phrase: "the various beings in this or that group of beings".

3. I mentioned how the suttas (eg. SN 15.3 or MN 87) refer to sorrow, lamentation & grief over the death of a loved one, such as: "the death of a mother... the death of a father... the death of a brother... the death of a sister... the death of a son... the death of a daughter... loss with regard to relatives... loss with regard to wealth... loss with regard to disease".

4. I suggested "death" is not implicitly the death of aggregates or the body but the death of "a being" or "a person".

5. I suggest "a being" ("satta") is more than mere "self-view" but represents the entirety of the various characteristics or attributes that are imputed upon "the being" created at "jati", similar to a person's CV (curriculum vitae).

6. Javier suggested there are more types of suffering than aging & death and I referred to SN 12.66, which says aging & death are among the many diverse types of suffering that arise in the world, and to SN 22.1, which says any type of change or loss causes suffering when the object of change is attached to as 'self'.

7. It was mentioned to view lifeforms as merely "five aggregates" rather than as "beings" would be very dispassionate & cold.

8. We discussed how metta is practised if experience would only be viewed as "five aggregates" rather than as "beings".

9. Phil mentioned how Mahayana refers to both the Dependent Origination of "beings" and "things". I mentioned the origin of this is probably in the Theravada Abhidhamma (Paṭiccasamuppādavibhaṅga), where the definition of jati was changed from "beings" ("sattanam") to "things" ("dhammam").

10. I said I would post some photos of the Dhamma talks with hippies & backpackers when Ajahn Buddhadada was alive.

Last edited by Element; 18 Sep 21 at 22:27.

Thank you for the summary of our group discussion today, Element, and thank you also for sharing your photos of Ajahn Buddhadasa's Dhamma talks in Thailand.

The faded color of the photos and the hairstyles of the girls remind me of the eighties

The group video discussion on Saturday 25th September will be about Dependent Origination again. (by request).

We usually chat for about an hour and all members of Buddhism Without Boundaries are welcome to join us.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Wed, 11:08 PM Thu, 1:08 AM Thu, 7:08 AM Thu, 11:38 AM Thu, 2:08 PM Thu, 4:08 PM