Thread: The 'trendy' spirituality

The 'trendy' spirituality

Hello.

You've probably all noticed some people are making money out of spirituality, like these 'wellness' clubs offering meditation courses which are really just sophrology courses adapted in the Lotus position, or these people giving a 'heroic-fantasy' dimension to words like reincarnation in their books.

Are you annoyed by this and why ?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFaky View Post
    Hello.

You've probably all noticed some people are making money out of spirituality, like these 'wellness' clubs offering meditation courses which are really just sophrology courses adapted in the Lotus position, or these people giving a 'heroic-fantasy' dimension to words like reincarnation in their books.

Hi BlueFaky,

No, I'm not annoyed because the world has always been full of nonsense about "spirituality", especially on the internet, so I just skip past most of it.

This article "Letting Go" by Gil Fronsdal is worth reading:

https://www.insightmeditationcenter....06/letting-go/

Forums Member
    It all depends. We all need money to keep going, although it would be nice to have a lifelong source of income which means we don't need further amounts. The Buddhist centre I used to go to could barely cover heating and maintenance expenses so needed a financial input. There were times when I wished I could give a bit more than the pittance I could afford to give. I suppose there are many out to make easy money though and to 'never give a sucker an easy break'. The ones I worry about are those who do not understand the consequences of pushing such things, which are either out of context or are simply fantasy stuff which bear no resemblance to reality. I can only imagine the harm it brings, not only to the pocket but to the mental health of people drawn in by them.

Hello.

No, not annoyed... its about people... there are many that go to that kind of places in search of something easy and confortable, not demanding an effort. About making money with spirituality I don't agree with that. Spirituality is about giving up most of the material stuff we cling and crave for, so the money should be used only for the basic needs like food, shelter, clothing and medication and nothing more.

Esho, I think your cat has reached enlightment

I think the same Blue Faky!

Lots of amazing cat videos to be found in our Tea Room forum:

https://www.buddhismwithoutboundarie...dga-and-Boomer

please.

Thank you so much people for your answers.

After some thoughts, I remember one of the very first things who pushed me buying the book that got me started was a 'email-joke-spam' list of 'valuable behavorial tips' that can change your life

This list had nothing to do with Buddhism, but one or two details in it made me want to get interested in teachings from different cultures, and forget a little bit about the occidental influences who made me what I am.

That's how I got intersted in Buddhism. I guess I'm lacking the English expression to come to a conclusion here All roads lead to Rome maybe ?

Well I guess what I'm trying to say is those 'trendy approaches of spirituality' at least have the merit to point the way (sometimes...)

There are many people who use religious beliefs and spirituality to enrich themselves. I could name many names both in eastern and western religious communities. That’s not the point. The point is the people who do this do so out of greed and lack of empathy for those people who they are fraudulently taking advantage of. I think that many people keep score of their lives vs others by their income.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 1:54 PM Thu, 3:54 PM Thu, 9:54 PM Fri, 2:24 AM Fri, 4:54 AM Fri, 6:54 AM