Thread: It’s All a State of Mind

It’s All a State of Mind

An article by Ty Philips at Patheos Buddhist blogs.

Its All a State of Mind

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/dharma...state-of-mind/

Any comments in connection with the article?

Forums Member
    We used this image now and again at the Buddhist centre and even used it as the focus of a six-week study once, so I'm quite happy to use it as a "What if..." visualisation. You don't have to believe in such things for them to be useful, you merely have to ponder what the world would be like if they were true. The value is in mulling over that which you don't have to accept but can be used to put over an idea. Buddhism is full of imagery like this and it's well worth an in-depth look at them. I wore a small Buddhist dagger (kila or phurba) round my neck for a number of years, the one with three faces to the blade. The nearest I can get to an explanation for it is, "The symbolism of the Buddhist dagger is the destruction of foes or obstructions. The lower part of the blade represents “ Method”. The Handle represents “ Wisdom”. This ritual dagger is not meant to be used on sentient living beings. The wielder of this dagger would use the tantric energies against evil spirits."

Quote Originally Posted by philg
    We used this image now and again at the Buddhist centre and even used it as the focus of a six-week study once, so I'm quite happy to use it as a "What if..." visualisation.
    I have a brocade and painted Tibetan thangka of the Wheel of life hanging on the wall above me as I write this post.

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    I wore a small Buddhist dagger (kila or phurba) round my neck for a number of years, the one with three faces to the blade. The nearest I can get to an explanation for it is, "The symbolism of the Buddhist dagger is the destruction of foes or obstructions. The lower part of the blade represents “ Method”. The Handle represents “ Wisdom”. This ritual dagger is not meant to be used on sentient living beings. The wielder of this dagger would use the tantric energies against evil spirits."

It sounds like its connected to Dorje Phurba (Vajrakilaya) from Tibetan Buddhism. The correct study and practice of this requires permission, the transmission of the teachings and an empowerment from a Vajrayana teacher. (which I was very fortunate enough to receive myself a number of years ago.)

phurba.jpg

Vajrakilaya.jpg

May all sentient beings be free from difficulties in their lives.

Forums Member
    I think I gave myself permission, read up on it and empowered myself. Which is not to belittle your comments but to say that in the absence of such a person I decided to incorporate it in my practice anyway. Like many practices I undertook.

Forums Member
    Ah. The Hundred Thousand Songs of Milarepa. I've read a few.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 2:24 AM Sun, 4:24 AM Sun, 10:24 AM Sun, 2:54 PM Sun, 5:24 PM Sun, 7:24 PM