Thread: The Seven Factors of Enlightenment

The Seven Factors of Enlightenment

An article from the Learn Religions website:

The Seven Factors of Enlightenment

How Enlightenment Manifests.

https://www.learnreligions.com/the-s...tenment-449969

Comments?

Forums Member
    My understanding of the seven factors of enlightenment is that they are factors that are used in meditation to help guide the meditator

There are three energising factors - investigation, energy, Joy and three calming factors tranquility, concentration, and equanimity all being known by the overarching Mindfulness

Each factor has a function in developing meditation, understanding the function a meditator uses mindfulness feedback to balance the meditative experience, growing skill and understanding

I may have missed this in the article but it did not seem to me that it was emphasised

Forums Member
    It's a useful list, but doesn't really tease out the 'enlightenment' bit and assumes you know what it is. I would say that it starts in part 5, tranquility, which "cannot be forced or contrived. It arises naturally from the other factors." It then goes on to part 6, concentration, where it leads to a state where, "In deepest samadhi, all sense of "self" disappears, and subject and object are completely absorbed into each other." Part 7, equanimity, takes this further to a state of enlightenment where, "Evenness of mind, unshakeable freedom of mind, a state of inner equipoise that cannot be upset by gain and loss, honor and dishonor, praise and blame, pleasure and pain. Upekkha is freedom from all points of self-reference; it is indifference only to the demands of the ego-self with its craving for pleasure and position, not to the well-being of one's fellow human beings."

One interpretation is that the rest of the path described leads to tranquility, which is then further developed by right concentration until full enlightenment, a state of equanimity, is reached. This tranquility is not part of the process but is the end point of the path. From there on you are on your own, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Comments?
    The article sounded reasonable; although it appears to not sequentially link the seven factors. It can be compared to SN 46.3.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 5:44 AM Tue, 7:44 AM Tue, 1:44 PM Tue, 6:14 PM Tue, 8:44 PM Tue, 10:44 PM