Thread: Techniques to silence the mind

Techniques to silence the mind

Ajahn Brahm talks for approx. 8 minutes.

Any comments?

Thank you, Aloka. These short talks are of great interest, some meditation gems within them, the idea of posting these short talks I find wholesome and for the benefit of many, of course, some talks will appeal more or less to different individuals.

This is a short talk just 24 minutes from Bhante Vimalaramsi - https://youtu.be/8u1JtRBJzqg
    Last edited by Thinker; 01 Nov 20 at 10:51. Reason: mistake

I found this one interesting. I believe I have heard at least part of it before, but the part with the mantra was especially pertinent to me now.

I have struggled for a long time with exactly how to meditate. I've tried counting, I've tried focusing,and just about everything else. I never feel like I'm making progress.

I have recently started reading Ram Dass again and he speaks a lot of the "OM Mani padme hum" mantra. I was wondering if that was something to try. But I didn't exactly know how to do so. Perhaps this gives me a way of giving it a try to see if it can help me settle things.

Hi dwlemen,

The late Ram Das wasn't a Buddhist teacher, he was a Hindu.

Om mani padme Hung is a Tibetan Buddhist mantra. Here's the Dalai Lama talking about it.

You might also like to try the shorter Theravada mantra "Buddho" described here in this transcript of a talk given by the late Thai teacher Ajahn Chah:

https://www.amaravati.org/dhamma-boo...ty-of-insight/

Global Moderator
    The only thing that worked for me was to change my relationship with my thoughts during meditation. I gave them permission to pop into my head but then sent them on their way using visualisation practice. Once this happened, I went into a period where they go fewer and fewer and the spaces between them got longer and longer. If anyone is interested, I used the swinging gate visualisation to allow thoughts to go through the gate and on their way.

Aloka, Thanks for the "Buddho"... I had actually been searching for some kind of Theravada mantra. I'm not sure it "matters", but I've always felt much more kinship to Theravada than any others. I will look into it. I think it's mostly just learning how to use a mantra in meditation and in daily life.

I did actually know Ram Dass was Hindu. Backstory... After watching Midnight Gospel on Netflix (Duncan Trussell podcast + animation), I'd started listening to DT's podcasts. He's kind of "pop-Buddhist" but entertaining. He mentioned Ram Dass a lot, and so I dug out my old books from college to reread. I found the mantra there, and thought, if it's a string to focus the mind, then it really shouldn't matter what that string is (I did not know it was also used by Tibetan Buddhists). But anyways, all things being the same, I'll feel better using something from the tradition I'm aspiring towards.

Phil, when you say "swinging gate visualization", what do you mean? How does that work?

Peace,

-Dave

Global Moderator
    Hi Dwlemen
    You picture a path with a swinging gate it the middle. When a thought arises you imagine it as a thing moving through the gate and carrying on along the path out of sight. As more thoughts arise they do the same. It changes your relationship with them in that you allow them to arise, but move them on. It takes a while to develop and may not be for you, but you might be able to find variations on the internet which would be more suitable.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dwlemen View Post
    Aloka, Thanks for the "Buddho"... I had actually been searching for some kind of Theravada mantra.
    Hi Dave,

There's some more info about it in Ajahn Sumedho's little book "Mindfulness the Path to the Deathless" starting on page 19:

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/deathless.pdf

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Wed, 1:51 PM Wed, 3:51 PM Wed, 9:51 PM Thu, 3:21 AM Thu, 5:51 AM Thu, 8:51 AM