Thread: The Role of Mindfulness Towards Planetary Sustainability

The Role of Mindfulness Towards Planetary Sustainability

Gelong Thubten talks for just over five minutes about the role of mindfulness towards planetary sustainability.

Any thoughts about the video?

Definately worth listening to for five minutes!

Excellent speech Aloka!

I agree with him but he doesn't mentions the 'how' and I think he should talk a little about meditation; the daily practice of meditation. Meditate. Lessen the mind. Become more mindful and thus slow and calm. Meditation makes you less needy.

Quote Originally Posted by Esho View Post
    Excellent speech Aloka!

I agree with him but he doesn't mentions the 'how' and I think he should talk a little about meditation; the daily practice of meditation. Meditate. Lessen the mind. Become more mindful and thus slow and calm. Meditation makes you less needy.
    Hi Esho,

He talks about meditation in this video "The Power of Meditation" :

Global Moderator
    The first talk was interesting, although he doesn't define 'happiness'. It's banded about a lot in everyday life, and the US constitution has written it as an aim in life, the 'pursuit of happiness', but what is it? Is it the dictionary definition, 'a state of well-being and contentment', or a more fleeting 'pleasurable or satisfying experience'? Can we be permanently happy? He was spot on with modern society pushing us to buy stuff to make us happy, a better house, car, holiday, and so on, at the cost of destroying the environment and making the planet uninhabitable for us. Personally I try to judge my life by the quality of my experience of it, whatever I am doing and whatever there is around me. I know that whenever I have tried to reduce my practice the quality of experience goes down, so it certainly is mostly about what goes on in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Hi Esho,

He talks about meditation in this video "The Power of Meditation" :
    Thanks Aloka!

I haven't had time to watch the videos yet I'm suffering a bit of insomnia due to the change in medication but I'll take peace and contentment over pleasure most of the time these days. Well unless it's one of my ex's home made summer fruits jam on toast, I'm not willing to give that up yet. But it's not necessarily the pleasurable experience that is the problem, it is the suffering we create out of it by craving more of the same, pain - let go, pleasure - let go, both are tainted by the three marks of existence.

Thanks, Aloka I enjoyed this talk

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 9:31 PM Fri, 11:31 PM Sat, 5:31 AM Sat, 11:01 AM Sat, 1:31 PM Sat, 4:31 PM