Thread: Has being a Buddhist changed you at all?

Has being a Buddhist changed you at all?

Dear friends,

Do you think that being a Buddhist has changed you at all?

Finding Buddhism and learning about its ethical system, which fit well with my values, gave me the confidence to live by those values. (Mostly. No one is perfect. )

Forums Member
    Interesting question. We change all the time, whatever it is we are doing. Buddhism has given control over the changes and, more importantly, guidance as to direction. Mostly the changes are too subtle and take place too slowly for us to notice at the time, but others see the changes that we can't. In addition, Buddhism gives you an understanding of the changes which may be taking place, and what to look for; useful to me after years of meditating as an experiment in changing perception before I discovered Buddhism.

One thing I noticed after a few years attending the Buddhist centre is that I started to enjoy my career as a teacher more. Personal interactions became more interesting and I found that I was starting to like people more. Not that I disliked them before, but it was a workplace and easy to slip into workplace mode. Certainly the people I worked with noticed it and started to comment favourably about the new (to them) person i had become.

As to my personal life I think that my Buddhism helped me with my family, with both the happiness and grief that goes with the territory of being part of humanity, and I am very grateful for it.

Quote Originally Posted by philg
    We change all the time, whatever it is we are doing.
    Yes for sure, annica/dukkha/anatta - impermanence/unsatisfactoriness/not self... but I had just been wondering about any significant changes members had noticed in themselves since coming into contact with Buddhist teachings and practice.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilG
    I started to enjoy my career as a teacher more
    Me too.

I have noticed some changes since becoming a Buddhist. My life is more centered. I don’t have to struggle ( as much) with practicing loving kindness, I tend to stay focused easier. My wife says that she see’s changes a little bit at a time. I’ll take that.

Forums Member
    This strand set me thinking. Once I took mindfulness off the mat I noticed changes in my own behaviour. One example was the daily commute when I started to notice whenever my autopilot took over. I used to sit in the car park at school and try to remember any detail of that particular drive and could find none in my memory, so became determined to bring more awareness to the process. Eventually I learned those times when the autopilot took over and was able to stay in the moment, however boring and repetitive it was, having driven past the same landmark for the last ten years. One particularly interesting phenomenon was my mind saying, 'I'm driving well today and enjoying myself'. The pattern then was that some problem would crop up on the road, a car pulling out or something. I learned to pay particular attention to possible road hazards at such times and it allowed me to deal with tricky situations on quite a number of occasions.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 3:37 PM Mon, 5:37 PM Mon, 11:37 PM Tue, 4:07 AM Tue, 6:37 AM Tue, 8:37 AM