Thread: Conscious Reincarnation

Conscious Reincarnation

Tibetan Buddhist monk Gelong Thubten talks for about four minutes about 'conscious reincaration'.

Any thoughts?

Forums Member
    Yes, taking yourself off autopilot is vital to your practice, as is taking your practice off the mat. I'm not sure I'm with his stance on meditation. The right way of dealing with thoughts which arise is an important step, but leaves out the value of meditation which goes beyond that. When your thoughts no longer impinge on you moment to moment you start to sit sit with no thing, which takes you on to the next stage.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    That's a really great, really useful talk from Gelong Thubten. He covers a lot of ground in this short excerpt.

He dismisses the myths around meditation awareness and reincarnation and provides coherent concepts that can be understood and accepted by Western minds.

Gelong Thubten's description of moment-to-moment reincarnation won't be accepted by some. I'm thinking of those people for whom reincarnation has to be returning to live another lifetime on this planet, after mortal death. Well, no-one has yet been able to prove them wrong, so they could be right.

Personally, I don't feel content with that description of reincarnation. For me to examine and accept the teachings of the Buddha, they have to make sense to me. I don't care what some ancient sage or some learned academic thinks about it. By whose judgement must I make decisions, if not my own?

The last time I forgot to be mindful and I was ruled by my emotions and I didn't know what I was doing or saying -that's already in the past, a lifetime ago. It can't be altered in any way, it's just history. The present life exists in the present moment. That's where I shall devote my attention.

Woodscooter, I very much like your post. It's the here and now that matters not some future life. Luang por Chah often said that the real merit was in waking up and being aware in the present moment not in heaping up blessings to acquire enlightenment in some future life! I'm a student of Shakyamuni, even if rebirth exists the whole point is not to get born into anything again!

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Spot on, Traveller. Let's stay with the present moment . The practice is right here, right now.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 12:04 AM Tue, 2:04 AM Tue, 8:04 AM Tue, 12:34 PM Tue, 3:04 PM Tue, 5:04 PM