Thread: Should Buddhists get involved with politics?

Should Buddhists get involved with politics?

Should Buddhists get involved with politics? What's your opinion, and do you have any evidence you can show from the early texts?

Forums Member
    Yes, I do. If we choose to live in the world and not live a monastic life, then I think we share some responsibility for shaping that world via politics, among other ways. And I think it makes sense to have people motivated by things like non-greed, non-aversion, and non-delusion add their voices to the mix, not to mention helping do what they can to fix things like inequality and injustice as long as it's done with a spirit of compassion and harmlessness. There's no single sutta that leads me to say this, but passages in places like DN 5 and DN 16 combined with the practice of karuna and ahimsa have inspired that opinion.

I agree, If we do nothing then we are as culpable as those who profit by our political system. The more people involved in non-confrontational political action should include opening web forums. Writing congressmen and/or senators, other local government officials ect.

I think if we can’t help being good to one another then another way must be found. “No one saves us but ourselves, no one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path”.
    Gautama Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Should Buddhists get involved with politics?
    What is meant by "get involved in politics"? Surely, if a Buddhist writes a letter or email to a politician, political party or other organisation, this is no different than posting about morality on a Buddhist forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    to fix things like inequality and injustice..
    Buddhism appears to teach about fixing immorality rather than fixing inequality & injustice.

I came across this article "Buddhism and Politics".....

https://www.budsas.org/ebud/whatbudbeliev/229.htm

Forums Member
    If you have studied sociology there is an interesting idea that all actions are political, even if you don't get involved in politics. Non-involvement makes a clear statement that you support whatever the politicians who get into power do next, whether it is acceptable as a Buddhist or not. With this kind of issue I think it's less useful to search back through texts for 'evidence'. Much more effective to look at these things mindfully, bearing in mind what has happened since they were written.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Wed, 10:23 PM Thu, 12:23 AM Thu, 6:23 AM Thu, 10:53 AM Thu, 1:23 PM Thu, 3:23 PM