Thread: Reflections on Nibbana

Reflections on Nibbana

Here's another aricle about Nibbana, this time by Joseph Goldstein:

At different times in our lives and meditation practice, we may get glimpses of something beyond our ordinary,conventional reality, touching a space that transforms our vision of who we are and what the world is. And these intimations can provide a powerful impetus to our practice as we begin to taste the possibility of freedom. Although we may have many selfless moments in our lives, it is the experience of Nibbana that finally uproots the delusion of self-centeredness. Given that it is the clearly stated goal and aim of the Buddha’s teaching, the noble end of what makes the Eightfold Path noble, it seems important to explore the meaning and experience of Nibbana .

Continues at the link below;

https://www.buddhistinquiry.org/wp-c...AL_Updated.pdf

Any comments?

Global Moderator
    Well, I think the link is worth a few years of your life to mull over, if it is important for you is to gain insight experiences as part of your Buddhist practice. The article firmly puts Nibbana as a personal experience which you understand either as an unconditioned reality beyond consciousness or as an unconditioned awareness. Does it matter? Maybe not as it goes on to say, "it is this glimpse of Nibbana itself that is called 'attaining the Dhamma eye,' where one has achieved independence with respect to the Dhamma" and "A better question might be what can each perspective teach us?"

In a practical sense, "At different times in our lives and meditation practice, we may get glimpses of something beyond our ordinary, conventional reality, touching a space that transforms our vision of who we are and what the world is. And these intimations can provide a powerful impetus to our practice as we begin to taste the possibility of freedom." So if your glimpse is of an underlying reality, that's ok. If it is of a different type of awareness, that's ok too. For me, it's the latter, but if I found otherwise at a later date, I wouldn't mind.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 11:42 PM Tue, 1:42 AM Tue, 7:42 AM Tue, 12:12 PM Tue, 2:42 PM Tue, 4:42 PM