Thread: Dealing with Isolation

Dealing with Isolation

Some advice from western Tibetan Buddhist monk Karma Yeshe Rabgye:

http://buddhismguide.org/dealing-with-isolation/

Any thoughts about the article?

Forums Member
    There's a lot of good advice there. Part of the problem is the stress of the situation, which may not be showing up in any obvious way but may make it impossible to, say, start a new hobby or concentrate on anything for any length of time. Which is when people start to watch too much news, or talk about the virus at length, or whatever. It might also be difficult to meditate in the usual way. It took me a while to settle down after I retired, but at least I knew I didn't have to go back to work sometime and that my pension would pay the bills, even if it didn't allow me a lavish retirement lifestyle.

Look into how to deal with all types of stress and identify how it is affecting you, and adapt the advice in the article to your situation is my best advice.

There is some good advice in this. I struggle a lot with devices and news overload personally. I had worked really hard to ween myself off of 24/7 "news" over the last 3-4 years. Then this hit and I realized, I'm once again checking my phone all the time for some update. Numbers, reactions, etc. That then leads to personal worry. Was that sneeze foreshadowing? Which, leads to more "research" online. I was practically convinced I had "it" over the weekend, but it seems to have actually been exhaustion and anxiety.

To agree with Phil, there is a lot of stress and that floods the mind with stories and it's hard to focus on anything else.

I had to go to the bank this morning to sign some docs. The woman there was telling us about the one confirmed case in her county, a 35 yr old construction worker. Healthy by all accounts, started feeling off Thursday, on ventilator Saturday. She made a point of concluding that while we think this affects mostly the elderly, it can take any of us, at any time.

So, for me, the struggle is how to process that and let it pass so I can focus on work, or perhaps some of those hobbies that I thought would be great to get back into. I am trying at least to meditate more, or at least take breaks and just be mindful of my breathing and try to observe objectively these ruminations as they pass along.

It's going to be a long spring!

Peace,

-Dave

My wife and I deal with isolation almost daily so it’s no new thing. We are both extroverted and very comfortable with each other’s company. We already limit going out. We call ahead to the grocery store and they do our shopping for us. We then can have our groceries loaded in the car for us. It limits interaction.

Isolation due to the Corona Virus public distancing ordered by our State of New Hampshire has been fairly tolerable. Have been using the time to catch up / refresh my knowledge regarding various physics specializations by attending online college lectures given by lecturers from literally all over the world. The downside is that I broke my headsets and had to relocate my system from our 2nd level audio system until I can repair the plastic mountings on my 1rst level audio system. So much for the plastics used to build everything these days.

Any thoughts about the advice from Karma Yeshe Rabgye in the article #1, Mike and Ron?

Hi, Aloka.

Article makes reasonable recommendations. The most interesting aspect to me was the painting / print of children in variously designed respiratory protection. The author might have used the opportunity to suggest making and donating them to hospitals as an act of charity.

Getting back on a healthy meditation schedule might also be beneficial for those of us who are prone to improving on other previously neglected aspects of our lives.

Getting back to a more focused and solid meditation practice is a great idea. It’s easy to over worry about the pandemic. Ron’s idea about donating home-designed respiratory protection is a good idea.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 2:56 AM Mon, 4:56 AM Mon, 10:56 AM Mon, 3:26 PM Mon, 5:56 PM Mon, 7:56 PM