Thread: Recognizing our Emotions Amidst this Global Pandemic

Recognizing our Emotions Amidst this Global Pandemic

An article from the Buddhist Door website:

Welcome Panic: Recognizing our Emotions Amidst this Global Pandemic

https://teahouse.buddhistdoor.net/we...obal-pandemic/

Any thoughts in connection with the article?

As someone who suffers from generalized anxiety disorder I can tell you it takes a lot of work to be with your anxiety, acknowledge it, and welcome it.
    Yes, there is a lot to be concerned about. This pandemic is something usually made up by Hollywood to sell movie tickets, not to wake up and discover one morning that we are knee deep in trouble.
    Anyway, I just hope everyone stays safe in the next upcoming weeks or months.

With Metta
    Mike

Forums Member
    I started having panic attacks quite late in life. Unless you have had one you have no idea of the depth of emotion which overwhelms you like a tsunami and reaches down to the very core of your animal instinctive reactions, in my case claustrophobia. It was impossible to think rationally during these episodes, and all i could do was to leave the room I was in at the time. Unfortunate if I was on a train or in a plane. I started to understand how to deal with the triggers, in my case overheating was the big one, and incorporated the whole thing in my meditations. It's taken me a couple of years, but I kind of have it under control now. The last time was at Cheddar Caves. The main cave was fine since the entrance was open, but another had a series of doors shutting you in as you moved through the cave system. I bailed out of that.

I see my own panic attacks as a long-term programme bringing in meditation and elements of mindful behavior therapy. In terms of the current situation, I don't know how I'd feel if I found myself in a hot hospital on a ventilator so I'll just have to face that if it ever happens. I don't have the same problem thinking about death itself as I've spent a number of years incorporating death, or at least the fragility of life, into my meditations. This helped when I was last on a trolley being prepped for surgery, but whether it is a good strategy for others in the present circumstances depends on their own practice I guess.

I’m glad you’ve managed to get a handle on it, Phil! Mike

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justusryans View Post
    I’m glad you’ve managed to get a handle on it, Phil! Mike
    I managed to get to a stage where I don't get angry with myself if the feeling arises again. Meditation has helped, but it isn't a cure-all. What it has done is to take the fear of panic attacks away, which is half the battle I think. Claustrophobic dreams were a problem until I visualised that it was my brain warning me that I was too hot in bed, or that I was blocked up, or we had left the heating on, or some such reason. I thank my brain for the dream and then get back to sleep.

I never personally experienced panic attacks, however my first wife was severely disabled by them when in overly crowded conditions. The last time she was overwhelmed was during our #2 daughter's high school graduation.
    When this happened we exited the building where she was able to get fresh air away from the crowds.

Once she recovered in this manner, she was able to tolerate reentry with no recurrence for the rest of the event.

Here's Tibetan Buddhist teacher Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche talking for approximately four minutes about "Working with difficult emotions":

Hi Phil,
    I started having them in my mid-40’s. Fearful events! The fear of them is the worst. But trust me friend, they go away as suddenly as they begin. There will be relief! ☸️
    Citta

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    An article from the Buddhist Door website:

Welcome Panic: Recognizing our Emotions Amidst this Global Pandemic

https://teahouse.buddhistdoor.net/we...obal-pandemic/

Any thoughts in connection with the article?

Good day Aloka,
    Thanks for sharing this article. It is an excellent reminder that moment we are in is an excellent time to practice.
    Be safe and well Aloka.

Kind Regards,

Gene

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 8:58 PM Thu, 10:58 PM Fri, 4:58 AM Fri, 9:28 AM Fri, 11:58 AM Fri, 1:58 PM