Thread: Going deeper into Buddhism

Forums Member

Going deeper into Buddhism

Buddhism has been such a help to me. What I love is that it doesn't tell you what to believe, or necessarily what to do, but it points to some truths and says, "try it out and see for yourself if it is true." For me, it speaks to the nature of the human predicament of trying to satisfy cravings and desires. I have been an addict of many things, and even though I'm not actively an "addict," I see where my desires and cravings must be managed. I love knowing that the craving really never can be satisfied. It's an illusion and it will keep me working to satisfy the craving, but it's a moving target.

The truths in Buddhism apply on so many levels and it's strangely fulfilling to avoid activities and things that overly excite my senses. For me that means not watching television or media that has sex, violence, etc. For example, my husband and I were watching a tv series that had 5 seasons. Somewhere around season 2 I realized that it was getting too dramatic for me. So I stopped. Then we picked it back up again and in season 3 more sex, more drama and more violence. I just don't need that in my mind.

I am not a practicing christian, but I do follow the teachings of jesus. I do have the Holy Spirit and for me this is the best combination. I don't fit into the christian religion, but the teachings of jesus are quite valid for me and Buddhism helps me with the discipline and training.

What I'm looking for here is a place to connect with intellects who are also open-minded, compassionate and kind.

Be welcome Cfstrouse!

Hi Cfstrouse ,

Welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries!

With metta,

Aloka

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Hi Cfstrouse,

Welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries!

Woodscooter.

Hello Cfstrouse, welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries, I look forward to reading your posts.

Mike

Forums Member
    Hi Cfstrouse. Interesting post. I'm also finding that I'm watching less television. When programmes rely on action rather than well written scripts there's little to tempt me back to the box.

Forums Member
    Welcome.

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    Hi Cfstrouse. Interesting post. I'm also finding that I'm watching less television. When programmes rely on action rather than well written scripts there's little to tempt me back to the box.
    Yes, it's interesting about television because I can't partake in America's favorite past time. My partner loves the action stuff and I just have such a low tolerance for it. It ultimately doesn't make me feel good and I find it leads to desires and cravings. For me, personally, I'm more into an ascetic lifestyle. I've lived both a life of sensual pleasure, but asceticism is more of my calling at this time.

Can I politely suggest continuing the above conversation about TV and the media in a new topic in one of our other forums on the website which others could join in? ( Please see pinned guidelines for this new member introductions and welcomes forum).

Many thanks

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 6:03 PM Mon, 8:03 PM Tue, 2:03 AM Tue, 6:33 AM Tue, 9:03 AM Tue, 11:03 AM