Thread: Meditation

Forums Member

Meditation

I am new to Buddhism however I think I naturally use a Buddhist method whilst meditating. I have never been thought how to meditate but about a year ago decided to meditate on the breath. Initially I followed it but sometimes found myself regulating it and other times leading it. My question is do people using methods for meditation become aware of sensations within as I have initially found around the heart which when focused on released a lot of emotion. Or is this just my imagination?

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    When I was taught meditation, the emphasis was very much on awareness of the breath, whether each cycle of breathing was long and deep breath or more shallow. Whether you could feel the air passing through the nose, or the top lip.

It was all about being aware and mindful of the process of breathing, holding concentration and awareness in equal parts.

That's by no means the only way to learn how to meditate. There are many other approaches, some with eyes open, some with eyes closed, sometimes using a candle or an image as the focus of concentration (eyes open, or half-closed for that).

I'm not a meditation teacher, so all I can give you is my own take on the question you asked. There's a common instruction in Buddhist meditation that you accept whatever comes into your head while meditating, but you make a point of not following the thought-pattern.

You let go of the thought, returning attention to the breath or other object of meditation as soon as you can, as soon as you recognise that you have turned attention away from the breath.

So, if you discover emotional feelings during meditation, accept these as simply emotional feelings. No need to wonder why, or to discover where they come from. Go back to the breath, let the echo of the emotion die away. Feelings are not important at that moment. Has the diaphragm tightened up because of the rise of emotional feelings? Take a deep breath and relax.

That's not to say you should try to suppress the thoughts that rise naturally in your head, because while you're doing all that suppressing you're not concentrating on the breath. Just let them come and go.

I hope that helps you receive more benefit from meditation. I repeat, I'm not a teacher. If you have the opportunity to take meditation instruction from a Buddhist meditation teacher, please do it.

Hi John,

This little book might be helpful ..."Finding the Missing Peace - A Primer of Buddhist Meditation" by Ajahn Amaro.

https://www.amaravati.org/dhamma-boo...st-meditation/

Hi John, Woodscooter gives you good advice, and Aloka’s recommendation of Ajahn Amaro is great too. Truly a great teacher.

Mike

Forums Member
    After a couple of months that experience stopped but not after a lot of emotion was released where I found myself crying over the smallest thing, I don't really have any issue with emotion now it's just at times I become aware of senstations within the body which I don't focus on as I stay with the breath and was wondering what they were.

Meditation comes in many forms
    Some meditate just to gain a little peace
    Others meditate to gain better self control
    And of course, seeing into one's true nature

The experiences and realizations during meditation are sometimes profound
    Some times just enough to distract from the task at hand
    Then trying to remember those things later??
    Others have a release of emotional energy

To continue along this path then it would be good to find yourself a teacher and sangha
    Or you could continue on your own with a little self support
    Sometimes reading books about Buddhism helps
    Other times watching a video or two about Buddhism or Dharma talks

I wish you much health and peace

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 10:10 AM Fri, 12:10 PM Fri, 6:10 PM Fri, 10:40 PM Sat, 1:10 AM Sat, 3:10 AM