Thread: Experiencing Gratitude

Experiencing Gratitude- an article by Tibetan Buddhist monk Karma Yeshe Rabgye :

http://buddhismguide.org/experiencing-gratitude/

(There's a link to a guided meditation in the article.)

Any thoughts about the article?

Global Moderator
    It's interesting when you sit with an emotion or feeling which doesn't have something you are attaching it to. The nearest one to gratitude I do is in the stage of Metta Bhavana where I wish someone well who has done me harm. I change it to being grateful to them for reminding me of why I practice, and then sit with that gratitude for a few minutes before finishing with pushing out metta, where you are generating a feeling of compassion for the universe, wishing it well.

Hello Aloka,

This article makes a lot of sense. Focusing on the experience of feeling grateful instead of labelling and categorizing the experience. It moves the experience from the head to the heart.

Thanks for sharing. I plan to follow up with Experiencing Gratitude meditation.

Kind Regards,

Gene

Thanks, Aloka.

Not sure about the left brain vs right brain biotech. Recently neuroscience has come to understand the amazing plasticity of the human brain.

I have no personal experience with feelings of gratitude other than feeling of relief due to escaping hazards in which I should have been maimed or killed.

The only residual emotion as a result was a feeling of being fortunate. To whom would I be gratefull?... is my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon View Post

I have no personal experience with feelings of gratitude other than feeling of relief due to escaping hazards in which I should have been maimed or killed.

The only residual emotion as a result was a feeling of being fortunate. To whom would I be gratefull?... is my question.
    Hi Ron,

Perhaps you would need to do the guided meditation (he provides a link) in order to find out.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 6:04 PM Mon, 8:04 PM Tue, 2:04 AM Tue, 7:34 AM Tue, 10:04 AM Tue, 1:04 PM