Thread: Spiritual Bypassing

Spiritual Bypassing

What It Is and How to Avoid It

by Barbara O'Brian (Journalist and Zen Student) at the Learn Religions website.

https://www.learnreligions.com/spiri...passing-449505

Any thoughts about the article?

Forums Member
    It's interesting to speculate about why people follow a spiritual path, and what they think that it is for. The article, despite having a title which is kind of lost in between two camps, psychology and spirituality, has a good point. Are people following to become 'good' at Buddhism or are they there to change themselves through Buddhist practices? It illustrates the difference well, that people can have all the trappings of stages along the path without being changed by the path they claim to be following.

What, if any, checks and balances should we be using along the way? And if we are all different, what are the identified areas we each need to use as a basis for those checks and balances? If we were doing this full time and had a great teacher I presume we would each be guided along practices identified by the teacher that would bring us on as individuals. The Buddha was supposed to be rather good at this, his talks being tailored for what each person needed.

For the rest of us I think the article points at the need to be somewhat introspective at times. What is it, if we are honest, that is holding us back as people on the path? Is there a meditation practice we need, or should we be extending our practice into everyday life? Should we be more mindful when dealing with people in everyday situations, more generous, or what? It's an interesting chicken and egg thing. Do we practice to become better people who behave in certain ways, or behave in certain ways to become better people, or is there a balance between the two we should be aiming for?

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    For the rest of us I think the article points at the need to be somewhat introspective at times. What is it, if we are honest, that is holding us back as people on the path? Is there a meditation practice we need, or should we be extending our practice into everyday life? Should we be more mindful when dealing with people in everyday situations, more generous, or what? It's an interesting chicken and egg thing. Do we practice to become better people who behave in certain ways, or behave in certain ways to become better people, or is there a balance between the two we should be aiming for?
    I agree here Phil, I think the practice SHOULD be extended into everyday life. Regardless of the motivation for your practice, it should be done.

Meditation and mindfulness as well as metta are some of our core principles. I personally tend to practice to become a better person.

We all have issues we are working through or trying to work through. That’s what many are doing. As Barbara O’Brian explains these must be dealt head on. With Metta to all

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by justusryans; 29 Jan 20 at 01:11.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 10:33 PM Sun, 12:33 AM Sun, 5:33 AM Sun, 11:03 AM Sun, 1:33 PM Sun, 4:33 PM