Thread: Not a Buddhist, just looking to learn a few things.

Forums Member

Not a Buddhist, just looking to learn a few things.

I only know the basics, and I am not entirely certain I fully understand those.

Welcome walterbyrd, I hope you enjoy being a member of the group!

There are some resources pinned at the beginning of the topic list in our "Discovering Buddha's Teachings" forum which you might find helpful.

With metta,

Aloka

Hello and Welcome To Buddhism Without Boundaries!

Mike

Hi, walterbyrd.

There are numerous online resources, which will help you to begin your exploration of Buddhist teachings, as has already been pointed out to you by Aloka. My suggestion would be to begin with the suttas and sutras and their associated commentaries written by Buddhist scholars if that sort of thing appeals to you. Explore all of the traditions at first until you find a spot where you feel comfortable.

There are also collections of stories designed primarily for children, much like the parables found in Christian literature, which can be helpful when just getting started with your studies.

Board members and moderators will be more than happy to help, I am certain. Just ask.

My first recommendation to you as a beginner is to "practice" what you learn and study so that you get a practical understanding through personal experience.

Welcome,

Ron

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Hi walterbyrd,

Welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries!

Woodscooter.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 12:50 AM Mon, 2:50 AM Mon, 8:50 AM Mon, 2:20 PM Mon, 4:50 PM Mon, 7:50 PM