Thread: Annihilating Ego

Annihilating Ego

Soto Zen teacher Brad Warner talks for approximately 6 minutes.

Any thoughts about what he said ?

Forums Member
    An interesting introduction to the problem of misunderstanding technical terms. In Buddhism Brad sees the term as being a socially constructed 'thing' which doesn't really exist, so is not something you can 'lose'. The deeper issue is one of what happens when you set out to transform yourself via the path. Will I be the same person? Well, no, not if you are actually transforming yourself. Will I have the same skills as before? Yes, but you might not want to use them in the same way.

My own thoughts are that the concept gets mixed up with what people talk about when they lose their sense of identity during moments of insight or enlightenment, when the sense of self goes and you feel that you are no longer separate from everything and everyone else. You couldn't operate as a person if this was permanent, so there's no point in trying to maintain such a perspective on the world. You couldn't anyway, as the moment is transitory and you are left dealing with the consequences of such an experience.
    We we read about it, we are left with mixed ideas about what 'dissolving the ego' might possibly mean, and I think Brad's ideas are useful in that context.

Point is that there is no such thing as a permanent self, soul, or ego. End of discussion. A belief in such is the most harmful form of attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon View Post
    Point is that there is no such thing as a permanent self, soul, or ego. End of discussion. A belief in such is the most harmful form of attachment.

But did you actually watch the Brad Warner video, which was the subject of the discussion, rather than just read the topic title, Ron?

Aloka,

"Useful fiction", pretty well sums the topic of his dicussion. What he did not address is the severe damage done by clinging to the delusion of self, which is key to unbinding & release.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 11:26 PM Fri, 1:26 AM Fri, 7:26 AM Fri, 11:56 AM Fri, 2:26 PM Fri, 4:26 PM