Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any plans for 2020?

Dear friends,

Do you have any plans for your Buddhist study and practice in 2020? ....or indeed for your daily life in general?

Forums Member
    Since I retired I've been able to explore my own interpretation of the Dharma more, having the time to chase up ideas and investigate origins. Recently I've been slacking on getting this down on paper in a form that comes up to a standard I've set myself, so I'm determined to get down to some serious writing this year. To balance that I'm determined to get a skip and clear out two sheds, a greenhouse and a garage full of stuff that hasn't been touched since we moved to this house a few years ago, and use the spaces more constructively.

The garage isn't big enough to get my car in, but it will be useful as a utility room and storage for the stuff we can't bring ourselves to throw into the skip (yet). I use the greenhouse to overwinter some plants and to grow tomatoes, herbs and spinach (it's the only place I can grow it and eat it before the slugs and bugs do), but it needs years of old plant pots and containers sorted out. Both sheds are full of regular gardening stuff, junk and boxes of things from the move that couldn't be fitted in anywhere else. The one shed is in the sun more and dry enough for storing things, but the other is too damp in the winter, so I'm going to clear it and put in a couple of workbenches.

So those are my plans for the year, getting a balance between Dharma study and working on my construction (I want to build some more growing containers and put in some decking) and maintenance skills (I like fixing things up, as long as I have the tools and space to do it).

My dharma plan for 2020 is to continue my regular meditation, and to continue trying to be compassionate in my life off the meditation seat.

My wife and I will be adopting three semi-feral kitties soon. (It is supposed to happen tomorrow, but a blizzard may delay that.) They are used to living rough, but are being adopted out as barn cats. We have a barn, but it is drafty. Instead, we will be putting them in a guesthouse that we use for storage rather than guests. It has heat and is weathertight. Once they have learned where home is, we'll unlock the cat door and let them go in and out.

I will be having some surgery in March that will improve my quality of life. I have some government documents that are in need of updating: my goal is to have them all done by the end of the year.

I wish a good year for everyone.

Om mani padme hum
    Kathy

Phil, I am in awe of you! There are many days I can barely drag myself out of bed in the morning for tea or coffee.
    Once I have, then I can start my day of which there will be work on mindfulness. (2) Two 10 minute sessions in formal meditation. Then metta, We doesn’t get out much so we mostly get to practice with phone calls from pushy salespeople.

Good luck with all you have on your plate.

Kathy good luck with your surgery in March, I wish you well. I am at the Veterans administration often and I don’t like it there. Too much time spent there. May you and your wife have good luck with the new kittens. They can be so sweet. Feral cats are not the easiest to work with. Our cat was feral...or at least a stray. She wouldn’t let us touch her for the longest time. Now, she is is (11) lb’s of fluffy cat.

With Metta to all

Mike

Thank you Aloka, for such a thoughtful question.

Mike

Wife and I are planning a Viking Tour to Vienna and Buddhapest in April..

Hello Aloka,

Thank you for asking this question becuase I have been thinking about it a lot this past week. My plan is to continue studying and reflecting on the Four Noble Truths and the Eight Fold Path. I am working on increasing my depth of understanding and making my life a daily practice.

I also plan to continue taking Project Management Courses. I am working on a certification program (online) and I have completed over half of the course requirements. I start another course at the beginning of February 2019.

Kind Regards
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by KathyLauren View Post
    My wife and I will be adopting three semi-feral kitties soon. (It is supposed to happen tomorrow, but a blizzard may delay that.) They are used to living rough, but are being adopted out as barn cats. We have a barn, but it is drafty. Instead, we will be putting them in a guesthouse that we use for storage rather than guests. It has heat and is weathertight. Once they have learned where home is, we'll unlock the cat door and let them go in and out.

I will be having some surgery in March that will improve my quality of life. I have some government documents that are in need of updating: my goal is to have them all done by the end of the year.
    I wish you all the best with your new family members:) and your surgery Kathy.

Happy 2020!

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon View Post
    Wife and I are planning a Viking Tour to Vienna and Buddhapest in April..
    Sounds like fun, I had enough of of ships in the Navy. Just not the same working vs leisure.

Hi, justusryans.

Big challenge will be the hiking @ ports. Will stick to walking meditations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 6:19 AM Tue, 8:19 AM Tue, 2:19 PM Tue, 6:49 PM Tue, 9:19 PM Tue, 11:19 PM