Share on Facebook

Thread: How To Accept Yourself Through The Painful Emotions

How to accept yourself through difficult emotions, with Tibetan Buddhist monk Gelong Thubten

(approx. 8 minutes)

Any comments about the video?

Forums Member
    Shame about the background music, but well worth a listen otherwise. Using discomfort is a well known strategy in Buddhist practice and can help with the physical consequences of the stresses that can build up. The central idea is using difficult emotions as part of the transformation process which takes place when our practice is brought into everyday life, turning a negative into a positive.

One thing I would change is about meditation itself. He says that if you don't like it then only meditate for a few minutes most days. Personally I would suggest developing a meditation which you enjoy and want to do, and then use this as a starting point to transformative meditation, but maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by philg
    One thing I would change is about meditation itself. He says that if you don't like it then only meditate for a few minutes most days. Personally I would suggest developing a meditation which you enjoy and want to do, and then use this as a starting point to transformative meditation, but maybe that's just me.
    When I was a regular practitioner of Tibetan Buddhism and went to the meditation classes, we were told to try doing regular 10 minute sessions at home to begin with and then the sessions could eventually be extended as we became more familiar with the practice.

Just as an aside, I'm wondering if this topic should be in our meditation forum!.....

Forums Member
    While in the midst of chaos and stress, say near the end of term when there was a mountain of marking and reports to write and lessons to plan, I managed a five minute meditation practice that kept me going during the week, with a weekly longer session at the Buddhist centre. If I sat just so, with my hands just so and my brain just so, it seemed to do the trick. There are a couple of ways into meditation for the novice. Short meditations until the brain quiets down is one way, keeping it amused with fun meditations until it quietens down is another. You are probably right about the forum as meditating about those who do us harm, about death and so on is one element of practice.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Gelong Thubten is talking a lot of sense here. He's giving good advice and, as he says in his introduction, he's presenting a non-religious approach.

I don't think the talk is enhanced by the presentation. I found the brief cut-aways to other images were a distraction. Trying to underline what Gelong Thubten is saying by use of pictures and text, together with background music, gives the video the look and feel of a commercial, or an "infomercial".

Perhaps it's just me, but I distrust messages wrapped up in commercial glitter. But maybe this style reaches people who are turned off by a plain simple talking head. Gelong Thubten's message should reach as wide an audience as it can.

I think the presentation bit is because he has spent considerable amount of time and effort creating programs and presentations for corporate entities. In many of his talks he mentions his work with various corporations.

Gelong Thubten is a highly respected monk from the Tibetan Buddhist Kagyu tradition and there's some information about him here:

https://www.gelongthubten.com/about

I thought it was a well thought out video. It certainly should reach it’s target audience. (Everyone). It had a very good explanation of how to use your time to meditate in short, manageable, increments while you may otherwise just be losing those opportunities.

Mike

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 8:36 PM Fri, 10:36 PM Sat, 4:36 AM Sat, 10:06 AM Sat, 12:36 PM Sat, 3:36 PM