Thread: Giving Thanks!

Giving Thanks!

In the years from 1944 to 2019, now at age seventy five and four months on this latest Thanks Giving Day, I come to the conclusion that I have much and many for which to be thankful :

Parents, Grandparents, and although I never knew them, Great Grand Parents, who gave me life in which I have become aware of the universe in which I have had the opportunity to live. As Dr. Carl Sagan said so beautifully and accurately, “We are all made of star stuff.” We are pieces of the universe which have become “self aware” (sentient), and wise in that we are cognizant of our own mortality (sapience), matter and energy, which cannot be destroyed, but only changes state as described by Dr. Albert Einstein in his famous equation E=MC^2.

Husbands and wives, who make us aware of new ways in which we can improve in service to each other, making us aware of our tiniest mistakes regardless of our good or ill will and intentions so that we can constantly improve.

Even more so, our children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren make us aware of what we once were, and how much or how little we have progressed, and ways in which we could have improved, but to which must pay attention in the next phases of our living realities.

Aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, cousins, co-workers, neighbors, friends and best friends, who indeed have all proved themselves worthy of our gratitude in our times of need and therefore are even more precious to us and for whom we may be rightfully grateful.

Our food sources, not the least of which is the turkey and porcine life forms, which have been sacrificed on this day. But most of all we need to be grateful for all the plants on our planet, which provide us with our much needed oxygen, which we all breathe, and take in exchange our gaseous exhalations: CO2 & methane, which they voluntarily convert and sequester so that we don’t get too much of it.

Lastly, I must give thanks to The Buddha, The Dhamma, and The Holy Sangha for what they have taught me over these last few yeas.

So, to all of you, and all of them: “Thanks!”

May your meals be well cooked, and well appreciated.

Ron, Brother, Cousin, Dad, Husband, Co-worker, Friend, & Neighbor.

We Canadians celebrated our Thanksgiving more than a month ago. Nevertheless, it is appropriate to be reminded of the need to give thanks.

Some years ago I was a member of a club that held regular pot-luck dinners, one of which was at Thanksgiving every year. One particular member, who happened to be a Christian lay preacher, was always asked to say grace, and of course, it always had a Christian flavour. Until, one year, someone objected. That year, grace was not said.

I was disappointed, because I thought it was appropriate, at Thanksgiving of all times, to give thanks for our food. So I volunteered to write and read a non-denominational grace the following year. Here it is:

We are gathered here to enjoy a feast of excellent food.
    As we do so, let us remember that not everyone will eat tonight.
    We have friends and family around us as we enjoy this food.
    Let us remember that not everyone will have company tonight.
    Tonight, we will sleep in a warm bed under a solid roof.
    Let us remember that not everyone will have shelter tonight.
    So, as we enjoy all these blessings, let us be thankful,
    And let us think also of those less fortunate.

That was more than 15 years ago, and I have not been a member of that organization for years. But I think they still say that grace at their pot-luck dinners.

I have a lot to be thankful for, some of it too private to share here. Of note, I am thankful for my wonderful wife, who does me the great honour of understanding and supporting me.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who observe it today.

Om mani padme hum
    Kathy

Thanks for the reminder, Kathy, that Canadians are much more advanced with regard to Thanks Giving, and thank you for the non-denominational prayer.

With your permission I would like to make just a few modifications for our next family gathering, when giving thanks and stating intentions of good will for all.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon View Post
    With your permission I would like to make just a few modifications for our next family gathering, when giving thanks and stating intentions of good will for all.

Ron
    Hi, Ron. Please feel free to use that prayer in any way that you find helpful. Its intention was to inspire thought. If it does that for you, I am happy.

Om mani padme hum
    Kathy

That is an amazing grace! I will not be a least bit surprised if they still recite it!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Trush

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all!

Forums Member
    Here in the UK we had Harvest Festival instead of thanksgiving. Historically it was giving thanks for the getting the harvest in and being able to survive another winter. It still happens in Primary schools and in many farming areas of the country, with Harvest Home dances and so on. A big part of Buddhism for me is that it continually reminds me to be thankful, and I'm grateful for it.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyLauren View Post

We are gathered here to enjoy a feast of excellent food.
    As we do so, let us remember that not everyone will eat tonight.
    We have friends and family around us as we enjoy this food.
    Let us remember that not everyone will have company tonight.
    Tonight, we will sleep in a warm bed under a solid roof.
    Let us remember that not everyone will have shelter tonight.
    So, as we enjoy all these blessings, let us be thankful,
    And let us think also of those less fortunate.

Kathy
    I think this is a wonderful prayer Kathy. Thank you for sharing. And I hope all went well with your recent surgery and you are healing well.

Kind Regards.

Gene

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 9:36 AM Tue, 11:36 AM Tue, 5:36 PM Tue, 10:06 PM Wed, 12:36 AM Wed, 2:36 AM