Thread: Technology, Systems Thinking, Ethics, and the Dharma

Technology, Systems Thinking, Ethics, and the Dharma

An article from the Buddhist Door website:

Technology, Systems Thinking, Ethics, and the Dharma

By Paola Di Maio.

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/feature...and-the-dharma

Any comments about the article?

Forums Member
    At first reading it all seems a bit silly really, trying to relate the logic of the Buddhist idea of cause and effect to that of systems analysis for technological systems. I mean, why bother? Surely the real discussions should be around mindful use of technology, and how Buddhist thinking can help tease out some of the ethical issues surrounding the application of technology? On further reflection, that was probably what the author was trying to get at, but relating Buddhist thought to the disciplines of science and technology misses the point about why Buddhists should educate themselves as widely as possible; which is to make educated choices when dealing with things mindfully.

Each of us entered our current existence as a living process integrated into the realm of our rebirth. Since this realm is highly technical, it is only logical that our minds would paint and interpret it in technical terminology. From that perspective the article makes sense, although it seems a stretch.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I would agree with the previous two posters, that at first it sounds like an odd idea, then with a bit of re-alignment of thinking, perhaps one can see what Paola Di Maio is getting at.

However, if there really were something important being proposed, should it not be rather more obvious? Could it not be expressed in plainer language?

It reminds me of the saying "When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". The tool here is Buddhism, and the writer is trying to make technology into the nail so that the hammer may make contact with it.

To me, the weakest points that are made are (a) "Today we can understand this better thanks to the emergence of a relatively novel discipline: complexity science." Er, No. The term complexity science is a label for a discipline. It is a new discipline, but it explains nothing; (b) "Interestingly, an ancient Sanskrit term could possibly be one of the roots, or a cognate, of the term system". That doesn't really create any meaningful link between the ancient world and technology today.

I wish there had been stronger links or parallels found between today's technology and Buddhism. I'd like that.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 6:04 PM Fri, 8:04 PM Sat, 2:04 AM Sat, 6:34 AM Sat, 9:04 AM Sat, 11:04 AM