Thread: Seeing Miracles

I've been browsing some quotes from Ven. Thich Nhat Hahn and wanted to share this one:

“Around us, life bursts with miracles--a glass of water, a ray of sunshine, a leaf, a caterpillar, a flower, laughter, raindrops. If you live in awareness, it is easy to see miracles everywhere. Each human being is a multiplicity of miracles. Eyes that see thousands of colors, shapes, and forms; ears that hear a bee flying or a thunderclap; a brain that ponders a speck of dust as easily as the entire cosmos; a heart that beats in rhythm with the heartbeat of all beings. When we are tired and feel discouraged by life's daily struggles, we may not notice these miracles, but they are always there.”

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quo...at_Hanh?page=2

Any thoughts?

Master Hahn has mastered the skill of dwelling upon the benefits of our universe as opposed to the dangers therein.

A glass of water contains sufficient liquid in which to inflict great pain and fear if used for the purpose of extracting information from an enemy as applied in the art of "enhanced interrogation". A ray of sunshine if focused through a lens can ignite organic combustibles and be the source of acres of burning forests in combination with the wind taking thousands of homes. Caterpillars in mass can produce a plague of destruction taking with it hundreds of acres of much needed food. Laughter in response to personal ridicule can become the impetus for shame and self loathing. Rain drops in deluge can take with them tons of soil washing away homes & taking lives.

All of this, miracles or disasters, is but a matter of attitude. Master Hahn has shown us the better focus of a skillfully directed mind.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    It's certainly a positive thing to be reminded we are surrounded by all of life's miracles.

Of course, the term 'miracle' is here used metaphorically. No-one is suggesting that divine intervention is involved.

Developing Olderon's observation that it's a matter of attitude, we might appreciate these 'miracles' with the understanding that they contain the potential to be 'disasters' too.

It could help us reach acceptance that all aspects of the world around us simply are as they are.

Forums Member
    Seeing the moon during the day always sets this off for me, a reminder that here I am, walking on the surface of a planet spinning in space. Whatever I'm doing I think about the odds of such a thing happening; a conscious being reflecting on life, the universe and everything, and I let in the wonder of this reminder of the constant miracle that I am part of flow over me. Strangely, the moon at night doesn't have the same effect on me. Maybe the desire to howl now and then.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 11:11 PM Fri, 1:11 AM Fri, 7:11 AM Fri, 11:41 AM Fri, 2:11 PM Fri, 4:11 PM