Share on Facebook

Thread: The Hindrance of Ill Will

An article from the Insight Meditation Centre website:

The Hindrance of Ill Will

by Gil Fronsdal

"The first two of the five hindrances are sensual desire and ill will. They are paired in that they are opposite compulsive desires. The first wants something; the second does not want something. Both are mental forces that obstruct our ability to remain mindful and free. It is hard to be calm and settled when we are in their grip. When strong, they obscure our ability to see clearly and choose wisely.

These hindrances relate to an interesting topic: Where do we put our attention? Why does the mind sometimes fixate its attention on what we want or don”t want? Rather than allowing this mental activity to continue unchecked, mindfulness examines this impulse to preoccupation. Through sufficient investigation, understanding, and non-reactivity, the hindrances can lose their power to hinder us or take control of our attention. With enough insight, we can even become free of them.

Continues at the link:

https://www.insightmeditationcenter....e-of-ill-will/

Any thoughts in connection with the whole article?

Forums Member
    Sorry, Aloka, but the link doesn't seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    Sorry, Aloka, but the link doesn't seem to work.
    Oops, apologies Phil, try this:

https://www.insightmeditationcenter....e-of-ill-will/

I've changed the link in #1 as well.

Thank you Aloka for both introducing the topic and sharing the website, which provided the essays regarding The Hindrances.

Issues, which have plagued me over the years in which I have personally experienced "ill will" arising within my mind have been myriad and diverse, usually having to do with a sense of superiority with regard to social, financial, intellectual, physical, sports prowess, especially having to do with a sense of territoriality as to what belonged to me, or I considered to be mine somehow. Not too surprisingly these feelings have been conditioned by competitive tactical gaming (chess, checkers, poker, bridge, pinochle, hearts, and etc. ) and of course sports competitions such as football, tennis track events, and etc.., where the goals and objectives have to do with winning and not losing.

I can't say that I as either a Buddhist, or non-Buddhist have ever been mindful of such feelings for the express purpose of eliminating, or attenuating them. More often the only reason I thought about such thoughts was to think tactically more effectively for the purpose of "winning", or at least not losing, which is different.

Also in there somewhere is the idea that I shouldn't be made to look or be found to be somehow "deficient" no matter what the circumstance. Honestly, most of the physical fights and work place intrigues in which I have found myself were in fact conditioned by ill will.

The root cause of all of this ill will arising seems to be related to "the delusion of self". Once Buddha's concept of emptiness was discovered, penetrated, understood, accepted and practiced, most of those issues involving ill will seem to have faded from pretty much all life's concerns. The most recent example in my life in this regard has been my decision to abandon participation in my weekly poker group.
    Last edited by Olderon; 16 Nov 19 at 05:18.

Forums Member
    I like the last paragraph where it says, "As with the other hindrances, having ill will is not a personal failing. It is an ordinary part of life. There is no need to define or judge oneself by its presence. It is also not necessary to be under its sway." The solution? "Learning to be mindful of ill will is one of the effective ways to free us from its influence." In other words we need to be aware of those things which are classified as The Hindrances and carry that awareness into everyday life.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 4:32 PM Sat, 6:32 PM Sun, 12:32 AM Sun, 6:02 AM Sun, 8:32 AM Sun, 11:32 AM