Thread: Police practice meditation

Two articles, one from The Guardian newspaper and one from the Buddhist Door website.....

Stop and breathe: police staff offered meditation lessons

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...tation-lessons

Police in England and Wales Take Up Buddhist-inspired Meditation

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/po...red-meditation

Any thoughts?

Forums Member
    I did a lot of research on studies of using meditation outside of a Buddhist setting. The general positive findings are those associated with lower blood pressure and levels of perceived stress, while negative ones are around too high expectations or lack of follow-up once the course has finished. McMindfulness comes to mind.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I can see how a period of calm reflection can be beneficial in reducing stress in a police officer's day. I've never been in the police force, and I have no wish to do a job like that. But each day must be full of aggravation and frustration in many ways.

Management really should be providing ways to de-stress their staff, as a matter of caring for their well-being and for the more efficient operation of the force.

Interesting to see slight differences in the two reports.

The one from buddhistdoor.net says that "a specialized program called Mindfit Cop would be more effective than Headspace for police officers and staff. This was not the case."

The Guardian report says that "...as a result, the online training course Mindfit Cop has been made available free to all employees."

So they chose the less-effective solution and made it available.

Forums Member
    The main objection I have to McMindfulness is where management use a mindfulness programme to put the blame on staff for continuing to be stressed stressed rather than the management strategies which cause the stress. "We've provided a way for you to de-stress so if you are still stressed it's your fault and we will start proceedings against you."

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sat, 8:34 PM Sat, 9:34 PM Sun, 4:34 AM Sun, 9:04 AM Sun, 11:34 AM Sun, 1:34 PM