Share on Facebook

Thread: Our practice can benefit others

A quote from Buddhist teacher Joseph Goldstein:

"How does feeling our breath or taking a mindful step help anyone else? It happens in several ways. The more we understand our own minds, the more we understand everyone else. We increasingly feel the commonality of our human condition, of what creates suffering and how we can be free.

Our practice also benefits others through the transformation of how we are in the world. If we’re more accepting, more peaceful, less judgmental, less selfish, then the whole world is that much more loving and peaceful, that much less judgmental and selfish."

― Joseph Goldstein, Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Awakening

Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    A quote from Buddhist teacher Joseph Goldstein:

"How does feeling our breath or taking a mindful step help anyone else? It happens in several ways. The more we understand our own minds, the more we understand everyone else. We increasingly feel the commonality of our human condition, of what creates suffering and how we can be free.

Our practice also benefits others through the transformation of how we are in the world. If we’re more accepting, more peaceful, less judgmental, less selfish, then the whole world is that much more loving and peaceful, that much less judgmental and selfish.”

Any comments?
    Well yes, I definitely agree you tend to get back what you give. When’s the last time anyone has given into road rage? Or let someone push their buttons?Quite a long time ago I hope. I make that part of my practice. It helps keep me centered.
    Last edited by justusryans; 02 Nov 19 at 05:21.

Forums Member
    Yes. We may not be able to directly change anything or anybody but ourselves, but when we change there is one less person unchanged in the world, and who knows what effects this may have?

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Joseph Goldstein says something that has a lovely sentiment, and is very true.

Very true woodscooter, His book is filled with wonderful sentiments. It’s been on my bookshelves since 2017. Found it in a random thrift store, practically brand new. My wife goes to them once or twice a month and drags me along. I don’t mind because I get to go through the book stacks!

Treating others with loving-kindness and compassion is "The goal of The Middle Way". The means is the 8FP.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 6:22 PM Mon, 8:22 PM Tue, 2:22 AM Tue, 7:52 AM Tue, 10:22 AM Tue, 1:22 PM