Share on Facebook

Thread: A Possible End to the Reincarnate Lama System?

This is an article byJustin Whitaker at the Buddhist Door website:

"Dalai Lama Hints at a Possible End to the Reincarnate Lama System".

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/da...te-lama-system

Any thoughts in connection with the article?

Forums Member
    Reading the whole article it is more of a political statement. Who chooses the next Dalai Lama is important to the Chinese. If they can claim to have found the next incarnation, they have control of Tibetan Buddhism. The American ambassador was there to give credence to choosing the next one in a way which could deny them control.

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    Reading the whole article it is more of a political statement. Who chooses the next Dalai Lama is important to the Chinese. If they can claim to have found the next incarnation, they have control of Tibetan Buddhism. The American ambassador was there to give credence to choosing the next one in a way which could deny them control.
    This is how I understand it to be as well

Mike

The artical offers a peaceful solution to the Chinese threat to take control of the office of DL. Who better to suggest the solution than HHDL himself?

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I remember many years ago, when His Holiness the Dalai Lama announced he would be the last in his line. That he would not reincarnate as a Dalai Lama.

At the time I understood it to be a protest at the loss of the independence of Tibet to Chinese control.

Since then, HHDL has made conflicting predictions about his future. The article mentions this: "In recent years, His Holiness has suggested that he might reincarnate as a female, or ensure that he is reborn in a country outside of Chinese government control, or that he might not reincarnate at all, bringing an end to the centuries-old lineage."

I don't think that conflicting announcements help his cause, for the Chinese government is certain to pick on one of the alternatives, and to "discover" a reincarnate Dalai Lama somewhere in their domain. That's not a good prospect.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 7:04 PM Mon, 9:04 PM Tue, 3:04 AM Tue, 8:34 AM Tue, 11:04 AM Tue, 2:04 PM