Share on Facebook

Thread: Most Important Teaching

Dear friends,

What has been the most important Buddhist teaching you've encountered in your life so far, - and why?

Forums Member
    The Heart Sutra. That there doesn't need to be any magic, apart from the fact that when we sit and meditate on no thing we bring about changes in ourselves. Changes that are physically measurable as well as psychologically valid. Actually, that's pretty magical when I come to think of it.

Forums Member
    Hi Aloka

This abstract:-

“That being the case, Ānanda, you can hold this, too, to be an amazing & astounding quality of the Tathāgata: There is the case where feelings are known to the Tathāgata when they arise, known when they remain, known when they go to their end. Perceptions are known to the Tathāgata when they arise, known when they remain, known when they go to their end. Thoughts are known to the Tathāgata when they arise, known when they remain, known when they go to their end. You can hold this, too, Ānanda, to be an amazing & astounding quality of the Tathāgata.”

From https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/MN/MN123.html MN 123 the amazing & astounding qualities of the Buddha

I like this so much because Ananda is extolling such wild and to me fanciful powers and magical feats of the Buddha, the Buddha comes along and adds the down to earth instruction on Vipassana Meditation, this being as if it were more important than all the magical powers Ananda highlighted, it's just great

Thanks very much for sharing, Phil and Mike.

Anyone else?

Sorry BWB, been moving! Will get to this and other’s as soon as we have free moments. Again this is important to me.

Anicca.

It is a constant reminder to me that I may want things to be a certain way, but it is not in the nature of reality for things to maintain their apparent character forever. There is no area of my life where this is a thing, so there isn't any grounds to try to force it at the cost of my own wellbeing.

Two Teachings. The three seals of the Dhamma and the Noble Truths.

The essence of this two teachings are in the contemplation of impermanence. Impermanence brings suffering if we attache to things mainly to the five aggregates which are non self because of impermanence. If we understand impermanence we understand suffering and if we understand suffering it can be ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Thanks very much for sharing, Phil and Mike.

Anyone else?
    Kalama Sutta and The Kamma Sutta

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon View Post
    Kalama Sutta and The Kamma Sutta

Ron

Hi Ron,

As mentioned in the OP #1, can you share with us " why?" please.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 6:18 AM Mon, 8:18 AM Mon, 2:18 PM Mon, 6:48 PM Mon, 9:18 PM Tue, 12:18 AM