Thread: Being One's Own Teacher

Being One's Own Teacher

Gil Fronsdal of the USA Insight Meditation Centre discusses the Kalama Sutta (AN3.65)

"Being One's Own Teacher" https://insightmeditationcenter.org/...s-own-teacher/

Also, here's a link to a translation of the Kalama Sutta:

https://suttacentral.net/an3.65/en/sujato

Any thoughts about the Gil Frondsdal article?

Forums Member
    It's a great Sutta and a good article. We can indeed be our own teacher but only, with apologies to Einstein, because we stand on the shoulders of giants.

Great article, opened my mind quite a bit. I have been misunderstanding about that Sutta for quite a while. A humbling experience.

Mike

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I agree with Mike and with Phil. It's good to see Gil's comments on the sutta.

In the present day, we are still in the position of the residents of Kalama. With so much information in media and across the internet, how shall we know what is true and good?

We have to make our own judgement, based on our own values.

Woodscooter.

PS Philg: Not Einstein. It was Isaac Newton who said he saw further by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodscooter View Post
    I agree with Mike and with Phil. It's good to see Gil's comments on the sutta.

In the present day, we are still in the position of the residents of Kalama. With so much information in media and across the internet, how shall we know what is true and good?

We have to make our own judgement, based on our own values.

Woodscooter.

PS Philg: Not Einstein. It was Isaac Newton who said he saw further by standing on the shoulders of giants.
    We live and learn. Thanks Woodscooter. I don't know how many years I thought is was Einstein, but I remember now that I read him saying something about Newton, so I guess he was only quoting. So, apologies to Newton for the quote.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 6:08 PM Fri, 8:08 PM Sat, 2:08 AM Sat, 6:38 AM Sat, 9:08 AM Sat, 11:08 AM