Thread: Dhamma Factors

Dhamma Factors

Hellos friends,

Its Uposatha night. Having dwell in meditation I came through this Sutta (page 416) which tells us about the four main factors of the Dhamma of Buddha. It ends with this short verse:

"One should dwell free from longing
    with a heart of good will
    One should be mindful and one pointed in mind,
    internally well concentrated."

This is the essence of the Dhamma; it covers all the aspects that has to be developed by the sincere follower of the path. I like the simplicity of the formula, easy to be remembered and put in practice.

Any thoughts?

As you say, it is the essence of the Dhamma. Sorry, I couldn’t get the link to work so can’t comment on anything else. A beautiful formula.

Mike

I think this is the same sutta (AN 4.29 Bhikkhu Bodhi translation) at the Sutta Central website:

29. Dhamma Factors

“Bhikkhus, there are these four Dhamma factors, primal, of long standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated and never before adulterated, which are not being adulterated and will not be adulterated, which are not repudiated by wise ascetics and brahmins. What four?

(1) “Non-longing is a Dhamma factor, primal, of long standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated and never before adulterated, which is not being adulterated and will not be adulterated, which is not repudiated by wise ascetics and brahmins. (2) Good will is a Dhamma factor, primal, of long standing … (3) Right mindfulness is a Dhamma factor, primal, of long standing … (4) Right concentration is a Dhamma factor, primal, of long standing … not repudiated by wise ascetics and brahmins.

“These are the four Dhamma factors, primal, of long standing, traditional, ancient, unadulterated and never before adulterated, which are not being adulterated and will not be adulterated, which are not repudiated by wise ascetics and brahmins.”

One should dwell free from longing
    with a heart of good will.
    One should be mindful and one-pointed in mind,
    internally well concentrated.

https://suttacentral.net/an4.29/en/bodhi

Thank you Aloka, for posting the whole Sutta. Thank You Esho for bringing it up. I remember it now I think.

Mike

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 6:11 AM Sun, 8:11 AM Sun, 2:11 PM Sun, 6:41 PM Sun, 9:11 PM Sun, 11:11 PM