Thread: Hi!

Hi!

Hi All,

I accidentally stumbled across this forum and after going through many posts, I find this to be one of the best Buddhist forums on internet. It is a bit surprising that it doesn’t readily show up right up front on searches. Anyway, I decided to join. I will try to keep my introduction brief but if it is too long, I apologize (I am kind of excited to find this forum).

I have been interested in philosophy, religion, and self-discovery since I was a kid. I have been interested in Buddhism for the last 15 years or so and quite convinced that it contains the most compatible set of ideas consistent with science and psychology (in fact more sophisticated in parts than usual psychology). Part of the reason why I have always been interested in these topics is because professionally I am a physicist who has done research on large-scale topics like astrophysics, small-scale stuff like quantum mechanics, and finally settled on doing my Ph.D. on the physics of in-between scales, on materials that we see and use all around us like sand (it looks simple but its quite complicated in its behavior). I just have had this constant feeling for decades that I need to complement my scientific approach with something else to really know what is going on in the universe.

Being born in a typical Indian Hindu family, I finished reading up all the vedic stuff quite early on and found some of it interesting but somewhat unsatisfactory because "why" was never answered in any of the texts. Plus I realized later when I re-read them some twenty years later that they all are written in part to establish, maintain, and reinforce hierarchical systems - privileged few receive the ultimate secret! I found this out when I decided to read the vedas' and upanishads' source materials instead of solely relying on commentaries by gurus and yogis. I could do that because I was well-versed in Sanskrit and in fact I am seriously considering learning Pali and Tibetan for similar reasons ( I have the apps and books, just have to start).

I would describe myself as a "Bookshelf-Buddhist" - read a lot but never joined any sangha or temple or groups. My physicist's arrogance (unconsciously absorbed by my training) meant that I have always been skeptical of group activities and someone giving me instructions about my own mind (I can do it on my own!). Anyway, that has changed over the last few years for a variety of reasons and I have come to realize the value of a sangha so I am soon going to start attending sessions at a few places I have short listed and see how it goes. A very fortunate thing for me is that there is no dearth of meditation groups and zendos and sanghas where I live (nyc), so hopefully I will find a nice sangha.

Just by reading the posts here (including introductions by some other new members) before joining, I have already learned things that I did not know or had considered. I am sure I will learn a lot more in this forum over the course of time because many of you have been on this journey for a long time and have acquired a wealth of knowledge and insights from multiple traditions and personal experience of having a long and continuous meditation practice.

Thank you for letting me join this forum (very quickly) and I hope to be able to contribute to it and share the Dharma.

May All Beings be Happy!

Hi, TS.

Excited to see another science trained & experienced mind on board.

Ron

Hello Trusolo, Welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries. I hope to read many of your posts!

Mike

Hi trusolo,

Thank you for introducing yourself and welcome to BWB!

Quote Originally Posted by trusolo
    I am a physicist who has done research on large-scale topics like astrophysics, small-scale stuff like quantum mechanics, and finally settled on doing my Ph.D. on the physics of in-between scales, on materials that we see and use all around us like sand (it looks simple but its quite complicated in its behavior)
    Any interesting topics not directly connected to Buddhist study and practice are welcome in our Tea Room forum on the website.

With metta,

Aloka

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Hi trusolo,

Welcome to Buddhism Without Boundaries!

Woodscooter.

Welcome trusolo!

Welcome, Trusolo!

Om mani padme hum
    Kathy

Nice to meet you Trusolo!

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney