Share on Facebook

Thread: Secular Buddhist Practice

Doug Smith of the Secular Buddhist Association talks about secular buddhist practice. (approx. 12 minutes)

Any thoughts about the video?

Forums Member
    There will always be those who want traditional Buddhism, but for those who don't then the kind of secular Buddhism described here seems to fill the gap between non-Buddhist meditation and full-on Buddhism. Perhaps it appeals to my Methodist upbringing.

He has significant collection of secular homilies re. every buddhist topic from the 4 noble truths to the histories of buddhist traditions. He is well on his way to developing a comprehensive secular buddhist canon.

Forums Member
    Every now and then I come back to questioning why I consider myself a Buddhist and why, when I reject religion on the grounds that to follow a religion you ultimately have to have faith in what someone claims to be reality, I continue to do so. One skill I developed during my thirty-odd years as a teacher was to analyse a piece of writing and see into what the language behind it really meant. I spent years reading different philosophies and religions, and so on, to see if I could find fundamental ideas and where each needed the reader to suspend their disbelief, or follow something to a logical conclusion, or at least where you had to take their word for it.

Buddhism was for me the moment I understood that it explained much of what I had experience over the previous ten years of experimenting with meditation of all kinds, from lots of different sources, without the need to believe in anything magical or magically revealed. Do this yourself, with science can giving you an understanding of what is taking place in your brain, and with the Dharma giving you another 'in' to understanding what the experiences can mean for you as an individual and as an individual living in the wider world, and you get secular at it's best.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 12:24 AM Thu, 2:24 AM Thu, 8:24 AM Thu, 1:54 PM Thu, 4:24 PM Thu, 7:24 PM