Share on Facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Having become awakened, and not liking what I see....

Kathy, that is most insightful (about fixing me). I shall have a ponder on that.

Also, I am beginning to consider why I expect Buddhism to stop suffering instantly. I don't expect that of any other religion or organisation. I am also learning to be grateful for the charitable work of others who might be able to stop some suffering in some way. I agree, it is about me, not them. But it's difficult, huh?!

Forums Member
    Wisdom and Compassion are the two sides of the Buddhist coin. The less you center on yourself, the more naturally you extend your compassion to others. It's not like "oh poor baby come here!" it's more like your left hand putting a band-aid on your right hand. It's just natural, but makes things better all around. Suffering is inversely proportional to the attachment to the ego-delusion. If you practice a lot and have the insight that actually penetrates the illusion of selfness, the answer to things like "save all beings" in the bodhisattva vow, or "no living being, no life span" in the Diamond Sutra will be clear. (That for an earlier comment about the vow)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosamundi View Post

... I am beginning to consider why I expect Buddhism to stop suffering instantly. I don't expect that of any other religion or organisation. I am also learning to be grateful for the charitable work of others who might be able to stop some suffering in some way. I agree, it is about me, not them. But it's difficult, huh?!
    Hi Rosamundi,

I find that the words of the Buddha in the Karaniya Metta Sutta are very inspiring and I particularly like to read them if I'm feeling negative in some way or another:

Sn 1.8 Karaniya Metta Sutta: The Buddha's Words on Loving-Kindness

This is what should be done
    By one who is skilled in goodness,
    And who knows the path of peace:
    Let them be able and upright,
    Straightforward and gentle in speech,
    Humble and not conceited,
    Contented and easily satisfied,
    Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.
    Peaceful and calm and wise and skillful,
    Not proud or demanding in nature.
    Let them not do the slightest thing
    That the wise would later reprove.
    Wishing: In gladness and in safety,
    May all beings be at ease.
    Whatever living beings there may be;
    Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
    The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
    The seen and the unseen,
    Those living near and far away,
    Those born and to-be-born —
    May all beings be at ease!

Let none deceive another,
    Or despise any being in any state.
    Let none through anger or ill-will
    Wish harm upon another.
    Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;
    Radiating kindness over the entire world:
    Spreading upwards to the skies,
    And downwards to the depths;
    Outwards and unbounded,
    Freed from hatred and ill-will.
    Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down
    Free from drowsiness,
    One should sustain this recollection.
    This is said to be the sublime abiding.
    By not holding to fixed views,
    The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
    Being freed from all sense desires,
    Is not born again into this world.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi...1.08.amar.html

We are life.

We are changing into different shapes/forms because we are expanding into different directions.
    I know that I am the same as a flower or a single blade of grass. They are DNA too.

So what do you see when you look at a tree or a vegetable. Can you see that all of the plants and animals are one and the same?

Can you see that you are life in a different form?

Very good analogy, everything is just spinning on it’s way to it’s ultimate end. Whatever that may be. We are all one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by justusryans
    everything is just spinning on it’s way to it’s ultimate end. Whatever that may be.
    Hi Mike,

I'm reminded of the following reflection from the late Ajahn Chah, from the section on Impermanence, in "No Ajahn Chah"

51. Conditions all go their own natural way. Whether we laugh or cry over them, they just go their own way. And there is no knowledge of science which can prevent this natural course of things.

You may get a dentist to look at your teeth, but even if they can fix them, they still finally go their natural way. Eventually even the dentist has the same trouble. Everything falls apart in the end.

https://www.ajahnchah.org/pdf/no_ajahn_chah.pdf

I'm going to close this topic now , because it doesn't look as though Rosamundi is going to continue any further. It was posted back in July and its rather pointless if we're just rambling on in other directions from the OP #1.

If you're looking in, Rosamundi, just PM me if you want it opening again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 9:14 AM Sun, 11:14 AM Sun, 5:14 PM Sun, 9:44 PM Mon, 12:14 AM Mon, 3:14 AM