Share on Facebook

Thread: The six realms

Forums Member

The six realms

I've just read the Tibetan book of living and dying by Sogyal Rinpoche and I must say, found it an enjoyable and informative read, even though a lot of it went over my head somewhat!!
    The main assertion of the book is about how we, in the west deal with the idea of death and that we should pray/meditate for loved ones when they pass so that a good rebirth can take place.

Considering that one of the realms is the realm of animals, should we also meditate on the passing of a loved pet also? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Hi hippo,

I heard somewhere that Sogyal Lakar didn't write the book himself, someone else wrote it for him. I would also suggest that if you're interested in Tibetan Buddhism you thoroughly investigate any Tibetan Buddhist group that you attend, because there have been a lot of scandals in the past few years involving Tibetan Buddhist teachers and their relationships with their students.

The most recent one regarding Sogyal Lakar and the Rigpa organisation was that it was said that apart from abusing and having sex with some of his female students, he punched a nun in the stomach in front of witnesses.

Here's an article from the UK media:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thin...dhist-teacher/

and here's one from the USA:

https://nypost.com/2018/09/23/buddhi...ping-his-butt/

Regarding buddhist beliefs in different realms of existence, Tibetan Buddhists believe in six and I think there's only five in some earlier texts. Orthodox Theravadins believe in 31.

Forums Member
    Wow!! Thanks Aloka. The group that I have been learning with was the Triratna buddhists in Brighton, England. I now study with the Triratna group in Croydon, there seems to have been some scandal there too in the 1980's..

Quote Originally Posted by Wise hippo View Post
    . The group that I have been learning with was the Triratna buddhists in Brighton, England. I now study with the Triratna group in Croydon, there seems to have been some scandal there too in the 1980's..
    Yes, I think they've cleaned things up at Triratna now, it used to be called "Friends of the Western Buddhist Order."

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 1:09 AM Sun, 3:09 AM Sun, 9:09 AM Sun, 1:39 PM Sun, 4:09 PM Sun, 6:09 PM