Share on Facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Climate Crisis and Our Collective Need to Wake Up

I understand that is what you think. For over 100 years we have known that the earth is round and not flat. We have discovered that we are only aware of but 5% of the constituents, which make up this universe, yet we pretend that we understand what makes the weather behave the way it does, and the climate wax and wane in the manner we observe. "Not so!"

There is a reason Buddha gave us the sutta: "A Hand Full of Leaves." A.K.A.: "The Simsapa Sutta"

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....031.than.html

"What do you think, monks: Which are more numerous, the few simsapa leaves in my hand or those overhead in the simsapa forest?"

"The leaves in the hand of the Blessed One are few in number, lord. Those overhead in the simsapa forest are more numerous."

"In the same way, monks, those things that I have known with direct knowledge but have not taught are far more numerous [than what I have taught]. And why haven't I taught them? Because they are not connected with the goal, do not relate to the rudiments of the holy life, and do not lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding. That is why I have not taught them.

"And what have I taught? 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress': This is what I have taught. And why have I taught these things? Because they are connected with the goal, relate to the rudiments of the holy life, and lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding. This is why I have taught them.

"Therefore your duty is the contemplation, 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress.' Your duty is the contemplation, 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.'"

Climate Change, previously known as "Global Warming" is just one of those many things, which Buddha did not teach. So, if a Buddha did not teach us about such things, what makes you think that they are of any importance to your unbinding and release from these samsaric realms?
    Last edited by Aloka; 05 Jul 19 at 20:14. Reason: unnecessary remarks removed

Quote Originally Posted by Olderon
    why worry? Be happy.
    The concept is "Mental Equanimity."
    "Equanimity is not about cheering up, and being happy, but about having confidence in being present. We trust mindful presence of heart to have its effects."

~ from "Cultivating Empathy" by Ajahn Sucitto

https://www.cittaviveka.org/files/ar...%20Sucitto.pdf

Climate Change, previously known as "Global Warming" is just one of those many things, which Buddha did not teach. So, if a Buddha did not teach us about such things, what makes you think that they are of any importance to your unbinding and release from these samsaric realms?
    That's irrelevant, the Buddha wasn't able to see 2,500 years into the future. (and if you want to discuss whether or not he was omniscient, please start another topic in one of our other forums, Ron.)

Forums Member
    And, I sure don't think Buddha's teachings are the end-all and be-all to knowledge. But, I am probably being petty.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    "Equanimity is not about cheering up, and being happy, but about having confidence in being present. We trust mindful presence of heart to have its effects."

~ from "Cultivating Empathy" by Ajahn Sucitto
    I did not say that mental equanimity was "only" about cheering up and being happy. Nor is it only about having "confidence" in being present. Nor is it only about trust in anything, including .....something about heart.

Here is how Buddha defined it:
    "It is because the Goal, Perfection [Nittha; here a synonym for the attainment of the arahant] is "One, not Multiple," and the views of man are many. In a Buddha's system of Deliverance there are no "views"; instead, there is right understanding of things as they really are."
    And, as he said in "A Hand Full of Leaves"....we should not waste our time arguing over causes of "Global Warming" or "Climate Change", but instead concentrate on the processing of unbinding and release from these samsaric realms.

Aloka: That's irrelevant, the Buddha wasn't able to see 2,500 years into the future. (and if you want to discuss whether or not he was omniscient, please start another topic in one of our other forums, Ron.)

IMHO, There can be nothing more relevant on a so-called Buddhist forum.

Here is how Buddha defined it:
    "It is because the Goal, Perfection [Nittha; here a synonym for the attainment of the arahant] is "One, not Multiple," and the views of man are many. In a Buddha's system of Deliverance there are no "views"; instead, there is right understanding of things as they really are."
    Please provide links to the source of any quotes, Ron. (Code of Conduct 3c). Your quote above appears to be most of Cassius Pereira's second paragraph in his foreword to the Satipatthana Sutta.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/....html#foreword

And, as he said in "A Hand Full of Leaves"....we should not waste our time arguing over causes of "Global Warming" or "Climate Change", but instead concentrate on the processing of unbinding and release from these samsaric realms.
    Do you mean SN 56.31 Simsapa Sutta again?

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipi....031.wlsh.html

Where does the Buddha say anything about wasting time over global warming ? He doesn't!.....and more to the point, if our world becomes uninhabitable because of serious climate change, there won't be any life left on the planet to concentrate upon "unbinding and release"!

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    So, the Buddha knew more than he taught. He restricted his teachings to show the 'path of practice leading to the cessation of stress'. He didn't teach curvature of the earth or how to make a cup of coffee.

The Buddha's teachings are of importance to learn the way of 'unbinding and release from these samsaric realms'. Though I personally wouldn't use the term 'samsaric realms', I know what you mean, Ron.

However, it's still important for us to know that the earth is not flat, and how to make a good cup of coffee. Such knowledge will not move us directly towards enlightenment, but that knowledge helps continue our life and our community.

It would be foolish to discard knowledge solely on the grounds that it's not included in the things the Buddha taught. Knowledge about the world, the environment and population growth is also important.

Equally, it's pointless to think along the timescale when the earth with be consumed by the sun. A timescale of 70-100 years is all we get.

Hi, Woodscooter.

You wrote:
    It would be foolish to discard knowledge solely on the grounds that it's not included in the things the Buddha taught. Knowledge about the world, the environment and population growth is also important.

Equally, it's pointless to think along the timescale when the earth with be consumed by the sun. A timescale of 70-100 years is all we get.
    Yes. We are limited in our life-spans per each round of birth and death, but these rounds are potentially limitless. Buddha spoke of thousands of life-times just from his own personal experience. His point was, for this reason, we have to set priorities. His was the ending of suffering (dukkha), unbinding and release. He recommended we do the same.

The universe is so-far-as-we-humans-are-concerned endless in our miniscule lifetimes. Zealots get caught-up in their focus of their tiny life-time and forget that it doesn't have be that way. Some rant on about their political, social, or sexual rights. Others rant on about the climate or the fact that the world will end for this reason or that. Buddha explained that there is a much better, more effective, more beneficial way: The Noble Eight Fold Path. That is where he recommended we focus our efforts. And he stated that he didn't teach us what to do about those things, because unbinding and release is a better way to spend our short time here in this samsaric realm of ours. That way our lives ill not be so short and perhaps we can figure out a way to save the Universe instead of just this tiny planet upon which we have been deposited due to the errors of our previous life-times.

perhaps we can figure out a way to save the Universe instead of just this tiny planet upon which we have been deposited due to the errors of our previous life-times.
    Today, lets put thoughts about saving the Universe and ideas about rebirth aside, and have a look at what's happening on our own planet Earth in the here and now.

Here's some information from the Friends of the Earth organisation:

"Climate change, the facts and what you can do"

https://friendsoftheearth.uk/climate-change

Forums Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aloka View Post
    Today, lets put thoughts about saving the Universe and ideas about rebirth aside, and have a look at what's happening on our own planet Earth in the here and now.

Here's some information from the Friends of the Earth organisation:

"Climate change, the facts and what you can do"

https://friendsoftheearth.uk/climate-change

Hi, Aloka.

If you insist on researching issues, which are beyond human control, then I would suggest following those who are actually equipped and educated for such complex research, NASA:

https://climate.nasa.gov/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Sun, 5:03 PM Sun, 7:03 PM Mon, 1:03 AM Mon, 5:33 AM Mon, 8:03 AM Mon, 10:03 AM