Share on Facebook

Thread: Dealing with Depression

Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo talks briefly about depression:

Any thoughts? Have you ever had to deal with depression yourself?

Forums Member
    TBH, She is completely minimizing what depression is about - perhaps she is not talking about clinical depression. Clinical depression is not about not recognizing our Buddha nature. It's not going to go away simply by meditating. It is a medical condition, and causes suffering that is not just relieved by thinking and meditation. I really think this talk is nice, but doesn't get at the real problems so many of us have.

Forums Member
    I agree with lisehull. This is nothing to do with depression as a condition, merely restating, correctly, that the path deals with feelings and emotions. Nothing wrong with that, but it is dangerous to call this dealing with depression and puts blame on to the person with depression. Depressed? It's your own fault for not following the path...

She is not really talking about depression. Other than mentioning the word in her opening remarks and in the title, she is talking about other stuff entirely.

If she really means her remarks to address depression, then what she says is dangerous and irresponsible, along the same lines of advocating treating a kidney infection or cancer with meditation. Meditation is a cure for a lot of what ails you, but for some things, you really need a doctor or a psychiatrist.

Om mani padme hum
    Kahty

Hello,
    I agree with the reaction to this message. Yes, I have had to deal with personal situational depression and I have also worked as a Community Mental Health Worker with people who experienced "clinical depression". Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo's message may be appropriate for people who experience the normal highs and lows of everyday life: to find that spacious awareness beyond immediate thoughts.

But meditation is NOT an antidote for someone who is dealing with clinical depression.

Thanks everyone.

Kind Regards

Gene

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    Although the title of this short talk is "Dealing with depression", all that Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo is addressing is a feeling of low self-esteem, a feeling of worthlessness.

Such feelings can lead to depression but they are by no means the sole cause nor are they always the root of depression.

It may be that Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo feels better when remembering the Buddha-nature within herself, but I doubt that it would apply to us all.

I'm happy to say that I rarely experience feeling low, and would say I'm not prone to depression. There was one occasion when I was answering a medical questionnaire, with a whole page of questions about how I feel in various circumstances. I gave my honest, positive responses. But afterwards, it left me feeling quite miserable, for the rest of the day. I wonder why?

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 12:52 AM Tue, 2:52 AM Tue, 8:52 AM Tue, 1:22 PM Tue, 3:52 PM Tue, 5:52 PM