Share on Facebook

Thread: Chasing Happiness

Chasing Happiness

This is a recent blog entry from the website of western Tibetan Buddhist monk Karma Yeshe Rabgye:

Excerpt:

CHASING HAPPINESS

Searching for happiness seems to be one of the most important things in people’s lives today. Here in India, we’ve got the ‘Art of Happiness’ program, in Bhutan they’ve got their gross national happiness, and if you look online there’s websites called Berkeley’s Happiness Program or Regaining your happiness in seven weeks – that seems a long time to achieve a little bit of happiness – and there’s the Way to Happiness Foundation, which has 21 precepts which can lead you to happiness. There are also apps that help boost your happiness, such as Happy Now, Happy Habits and Happify.

All these things are telling us that we have to be happy. But they’re also trying to say to you that happiness is a destination and it isn’t. Happiness is an emotion. It’s just a small part of our lives. There’s also sadness, positivity, negativity, pride, jealousy, anger, contentment, gratitude and so on. All of these are just parts of our life. None of them are a destination. None of them are somewhere we should head to. It doesn’t matter if you take 21 precepts to lead you there or study for seven weeks, you simply will never reach total happiness. Life is not and cannot be just about happiness.

Continues at the link:

http://buddhismguide.org/chasing-happiness/

Any thoughts about the whole article?

Forums Member
    As a Theravadin is it ok to answer in this thread? If not please delete this answer :)

If a person searching for happiness it can not be found :) But when the person see happiness in the current moment happiness is always there.
    The past does not bring happiness, nor do the future. Why? Past is only memories (can bring a smile on a persons face). Future has not yet been experienced so happiness can only be thought of in future, not experienced
    The only way to experience true happiness is to live in the moment :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cultivator View Post
    As a Theravadin is it ok to answer in this thread? If not please delete this answer :)
    Yes, that's OK.

Can I also take this opportunity to make a request (to everyone), that if an article has been provided by myself, or another member, with a URL link in the first post of a new topic, to please read the remaining part of it at the link provided, rather than just replying to the title, or to the extract posted in #1.

Many thanks

Forums Member
    It's the problem with any definition which includes feelings as an end produce, especially those words used in many different ways. If you were happy all the time, then it wouldn't be 'happiness' without corresponding 'unhappiness'. And how could you be happy if you had just stabbed yourself with your screwdriver? (Happens to me far too often) I do use 'May you be happy, may you be well' during metta bhavana meditations, but I probably mean 'May you be released from suffering' of the kind the Buddha talked about. Perhaps that's what the article meant about 'Peace of mind' being the aim, rather than happiness.

Yes, in the article, the author isn't offering ways to search for happiness, he's pointing out that meditation can be an aid to a peaceful mind and concludes:

Quote Originally Posted by Karma Yeshe Rabgye

Happiness is a short-lived thing, but peace of mind knows no limits.

Hello Aloka,
    I definately think we should value "peace of mind" rather than happiness.
    Valuing and chasing happiness keeps one on the treadmill of seeking pain and pleasure becuase the state of happiness is only temporary.

Thanks for sharing the article Aloka.

Kind Regards,
    Gene

My understandig is "happiness" is not the goal. It is the result of unbinding and release from dukkha.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 11:32 AM Mon, 1:32 PM Mon, 7:32 PM Tue, 12:02 AM Tue, 2:32 AM Tue, 4:32 AM