Share on Facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: causing suffering

Forums Member

causing suffering

Hello. Last night I was driving home and hit and killed a rabbit that ran in front of the car. I am suffering greatly, because I killed this innocent animal. I can't get past the grief. I can see the rabbit running in front of the car and can hear the thumping as I killed it. I have tried considering impermanence and karma, but they don't help.

Any ideas on how to cope with this?

Thank you.

I'm so sorry that happened, Lise, but it wasn't done intentionally. I know how it feels though, because I once accidently killed a beautiful frog in my garden with the lawn mower, and I was devastated.

Why not eat vegetarian or vegan for a week... and dedicate it to the memory of the rabbit, as well as all the other living creatures on our planet?

Just a thought anyway! Someone else might have other suggestions.

Forums Member
    Intent is all. Unless you were trying to gain extra points by deliberately running it over, it's an accident and as such not your fault. The hardest thing in life is being kind to yourself and forgiving yourself when such things happen.

Do a metta meditation.

Quote Originally Posted by Esho View Post
    Do a metta meditation.

Yes... or several. Whatever it takes to feel ok with yourself again.

Mike

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    That was a really unfortunate accident, Lise. As you would never intentionally harm a living creature, I can imagine how you are feeling.

There's no way to undo the past, and eventually you will allow your feelings of regret to pass. Meantime, it's great that some people have posted helpful suggestions.

Forums Member
    Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions. I am glad you have been here for me. It's still painful, and I try not to think about it, but it's hard not to drop back into the moment. I will try metta meditation but sometimes it feels that I need more.

" lisehull wrote": "Any ideas on how to cope with this? " "I will try metta meditation but sometimes it feels that I need more."

Hi, lisehull: Here are my thoughts and suggestions, which include intentional actions we can each take to improve, if not to prevent, what you recently experienced.

Ghandi walked everywhere he went. We are talking "super marathon" distances.

240 miles
    The Salt March, which took place from March to April 1930 in India, was an act of civil disobedience led by Mohandas Gandhi to protest British rule in India. During the march, thousands of Indians followed Gandhi from his religious retreat near Ahmedabad to the Arabian Sea coast, a distance of some 240 miles.
    Salt March - HISTORY
    https://www.history.com/topics/india/salt-march
    I'll bet while doing so, Ghandi never so much as accidentally stepped on one single living rabbit.

In this regard (human harm to other living creatures) I have personally observed that it is our human addiction and dependence on our technologies, in this case vehicular transportation, which has led us to ignore such literal atrocities, what we have come to casually call "Road Kill".

Buddha pointed out that it is our human ignorance, which is the root cause of dukkha. The example of the widespread harm we humans are causing to our environment due to our transportation addictions is a salient example of a cause which allows such human caused harm to persist, spread and increase, wherever humans migrate and dominate the environment ignoring our effects upon other life-forms.

Perhaps when intentionally walking, instead of driving or taking public transportation, for this express personal karmic purpose you could notify your local newspaper or news station to inform them that you are walking everywhere you can for a significant, even if what you consider to be insignificant, time period to protest the environmental and ecological damage caused by automobiles driven in our vehicular dependent society. Perhaps, make it some time period you consider exceptional enough to bring this personal act of contrition to your home-land's attention, hopefully encouraging others to do the same in the name of reduced harm to wild sentient beings, which live and thrive within the foliage and arbors along roads.

Every summer I am astonished at the number of wild and free ranging domesticated creatures, which never seem to make it to the other sides of highways and public roads, these vehicular passage ways.

Here in New Hampshire, U.S.A. , where I live, and in our National Parks, hundreds of Moose, Elk, Deer, Bear, and other large mammals are killed every year, often ironically along with those human drivers & passengers, who are unlucky enough to run into them (collide) at high traffic speeds:

https://www.nps.gov/grte/learn/news/...collisions.htm

And then harm done doesn't end with simple vehicular collisions. Just recently I watched a Public Broadcasting System "Nature" documentary about the harm caused around the world by migratory pathways being cutoff by national highways, which prevent migratory animals such as these from being allowed to naturally roam long and wide enough to simply find reproductive mates:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/wild-ways/

https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/09...ration/540174/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2486312/

There is definitely an important reason and justification to bring human harm to our human species's attention. We humans are indeed causing "great harm" to our sentient partners / occupants of this planet Earth, and it is not just rabbits, turtles and back yard frogs, which are being caused harm by our human engineering activities.
    Last edited by Olderon; 24 Mar 19 at 03:51.

Forums Member
    Hello Olderon, I am unclear about how I can use your comments to ameloriate the suffering of the rabbit I killed, nor my own suffering. I understand the larger picture. I do my best as a animal advocate. However, my actual reason for this post was about the suffering I caused and also my suffering.

Forums Member
    I did find the below helpful in processing my grief. While I don't do the God thing and it causes me to cry, I think it's beneficial. Apparently Schweitzer was an amazing animal rights advocate.

A Prayer for Animals:

Hear our humble prayer, O God, for our friends, the animals, especially for the animals who are suffering; for any that are hunted or lost or deserted or frightened or hungry; for all that must be put to death.
    We entreat for them all thy mercy and pity, and for those who deal with them we ask a heart of compassion and gentle hands and kindly words. Make us, ourselves, to be true friends to animals and so to share the blessings of the merciful.
    Dr. Albert Schweitzer

This is a blessing I don't think is attributed to Schweitzer:

Give Your Blessing: "Into the light with you"
    Visualize yourself caressing the domed forehead of each one, and whispering into the ear your blessing. Visualize the animal dissolving from your arms into a white light. These visualizations need only take a few moments and have power to lift the animal's spirit and your own to a higher level. You can feel it happen. It is happening because your energy bends to your will, and your intention to give a blessing delivers a gift of loving energy to the departed soul of the animal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Fri, 9:58 AM Fri, 11:58 AM Fri, 5:58 PM Fri, 10:28 PM Sat, 12:58 AM Sat, 2:58 AM