Thread: Do we perceive reality as it really is?

Do we perceive reality as it really is?

A video (approx 8 minutes) of Soto Zen teacher Brad Warner:

Any comments about what he said ?

Forums Member
    I only started to meditate to test the science behind perception- could meditation change my assumptions about what I perceive the world to be? Yes it did.

Forums Member
    I think Brad should read Incognito the secret lives of the brain by David Eagleman, it is an extremely good tour of the science around how the mind works, as one review put it "Your mind is an elaborate trick, and mastermind David Eagleman explains how the trick works with great lucidity and amazement, your mind will thank you"

And it does, it's not a book that references meditation at all but does show you how and why vipassana would work and why the insights are always "aha" moments.

Forums Member
    I have to say that I also read widely about Buddhist meditation and, on reflection, am grateful that I had access to all those years of experience to help inform me of what was going on- this was before modern research about the brain. It meant that I was prepared for things to happen in a positive context. I think in the end it was a case of science catching up with what happens during meditation.

First, we are not process capable. We cannot perceive all of reality, nor can we understand even what we do (perceive).
    We used to believe the world to be flat, because we lacked sufficient perspective until we gained access to space travel of distance significant enough to look back and see that the earth was spherical. Even so, some of us still cling to such matters of ignorance, which Buddha pointed out to us as the root cause of our suffering.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 12:09 AM Thu, 2:09 AM Thu, 8:09 AM Thu, 12:39 PM Thu, 3:09 PM Thu, 5:09 PM