Thread: Metta practice

Metta practice

This is a 5 minute video from Ajahn Jayasaro, with instructions for the practice of Metta.

Hi Aloka,

thanks for the video.
    I would like to start integrating metta meditation in my practice (up to now I have always practiced focusing on the breath) because thanks to mindfulness I am starting to uncover some thought patterns and discovering that I can be pretty harsh and cold towards myself...
    Do you suggest that I practice metta in a dedicated session, replacing the focus on the breath, or is it better to use it as beginning or final part of my ordinary practice? I usually do 30 minutes twice a day. Also, does it make more sense to practice metta regularly like I do with the breath or to only do metta meditation when I emotionally feel the need to do it?

Thank you all!

Hi Federica,

I don't have any fixed timetable for metta practice, sometimes I'll do it at the beginning or end of a meditation session and sometimes by itself. I also extend it to all sentient beings rather than just humans.

I think its a good idea to do a short session daily if one tends to experience challenging situations of one kind or another at home, work, or indeed anywhere at all.

You might also like a short guided loving kindness meditation by Tara Brach, who is a Buddhist meditation teacher in the USA. Some guided meditations can be found on her website.

https://www.tarabrach.com/about/

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Thu, 10:35 AM Thu, 12:35 PM Thu, 6:35 PM Thu, 11:05 PM Fri, 1:35 AM Fri, 3:35 AM