Thread: Animal Ownership

Animal Ownership

So I just got a Scottish-Fold kitty for my kids.

My Buddhism brings up some questions.

If I castrate it is that bad?

Can I put it out to stud for purebread kittens and then sell those pure bread kittens? I know others do it, but they aren't Buddhists.

Is declawing it bad?

I don't have the answers to these questions, I just wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone had any ideas.

Congratulations on your new cat!

Neutering a cat prevents unwanted kittens. Most places have an overpopulation of cats, with the unwanted ones being abandoned to live lives of suffering and desperation as feral animals. Neutering is compassionate. Breeding pets contributes to the overpopulation. There are enough rescued cats available from shelters to meet all the demand, without breeding more.

Declawing is very, very bad! DON'T DO IT!!! They don't "declaw" cats. What they do is amputate the last joint of the digits. So, the cat ends up walking around on the amputation stumps. "Declawed" cats can never be allowed outdoors, since they are unable to defend themselves in a fight.

Om mani padme hum
    Kathy

I agree with Kathy....and declawing is a terrible thing to do to a cat, don't do it!

Its illegal in this country and in quite a few other countries too.

https://www.declawing.com/countries-...tlaw-declawing

If your cat starts using his claws on the furniture, get a cat-scratching post, or make one yourself .

More examples at the link:

https://www.manomano.co.uk/cat-scrap...CABEgJcPvD_BwE

Thanks ladies!

I didn't realize this about declawing.

I will not declaw my little munchkin now.

Regarding breeding I'm not sure; it is a purebread, which means its a different set of pet owners that would want one and that would take one from a shelter, so I don't know.

That being said, I'd like to take in shelter kitties but my kids are such that they would benefit from having a scottish fold, as it has special attributes that are good for my kids.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Tue, 12:28 PM Tue, 2:28 PM Tue, 8:28 PM Wed, 1:58 AM Wed, 4:28 AM Wed, 7:28 AM