Share on Facebook

Thread: Do you pray?

Do you pray?

Dear friends,

I was looking at this article recently "Do Buddhists Pray?"

https://www.thoughtco.com/do-buddhists-pray-449582

....and I wondered if anyone here prayed, either as a part of their Buddhist practice, or just spontaneously.

If so, who do you pray to, and why ?

Forums Member
    Not as a rule. Maybe if a car is coming at me on the wrong side of the carriageway. Maybe at the level of childhood 'not stepping on the cracks in the pavement'.

Not sure to whom or what I would pray.

If prayer worked I would have noticed the end of all wars, an end to starvation, and an end to all forms of disease. Has proven to be a very ineffective means of communication and beneficial acts.

I do state intentions for the sake of others in need of assistance and act in their behalf. Seems way more effective than prayer.

What is prayer?

I often express wishes. "May all sentient beings be free from suffering" would be a common one that I say every day. Is that a prayer? I don't know. I am not saying it to anyone. I am just saying it on behalf of myself, in order to remind myself to be mindful in my actions.

Om mani padme hum
    Kathy

Epilogue to my previous entry to this thread: I watched an episode of "How The Universe Works" on The Science Channel regarding Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Cosmological physicists now understand, or at least postulate, that from the time of The Big Bang to now that Dark Energy and subsequently Dark Matter seem to have had the largest influence in molding our universe. So, seems to me, if you wanted to pray to something, which has some power to effect our reality, it might be most effective to pray to Dark Energy, or to that which creates Dark Energy, which nobody seems to know at this point, at least not any cosmological physicists.

Forums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyLauren View Post

I often express wishes. "May all sentient beings be free from suffering" would be a common one that I say every day. Is that a prayer? I don't know. I am not saying it to anyone. I am just saying it on behalf of myself, in order to remind myself to be mindful in my actions.

Om mani padme hum
    Kathy
    Nice.
    Last edited by Aloka; 23 Feb 19 at 07:48. Reason: formatting

No, I don’t pray. I’ve never found it to be effective. I do however have a mantra that I remind myself of daily. It just reminds me to stay grounded.

Technical Administrator woodscooter's Avatar
    I've always understood prayer to be a supplication or a petition to an omnipotent being. Generally it's a request to change how things are, to something else.

Such as "may I regain my eyesight" or "cure my family member from a terminal disease" or "bring an end to this drought". Prayer like this is a request to bring about some change that over-rides the natural course of events.

I've never heard of any evidence of natural laws being suspended and I think I'm safe in assuming that it never happens. If I'm right about that, I can deduce that prayers are never answered. I might expand on that and say that praying is a waste of time.

"Our prayers were answered" is often said when some potential disaster turns out well. I heard that said in news reports following the rescue of the young football players from a cave in northern Thailand after more than two weeks trapped underground. I've also heard it said when a group of miners were rescued after being trapped in Chile in 2010.

Well, if these people were brought out by the power of prayer, what was the need for the rescue team? Alternatively, would the efforts of the rescue team have assuredly failed if no-one had been hard at prayer?

No, I don't pray (you won't be surprised to hear). When there's a need to change the way things are, I try to make that change myself, within the limits of what's possible.

Over and above that, if change is not possible, then I have to accept that's just the way things are.

Forums Member
    I occasionally mutter: "Buddha save me from new-agers"!

Forums Member
    No, there is no need to pray to buddha. Only his teaching can guide us to do the right action, speach and thoughts in life as human being. We are on our own in practicing the dhamma. The effort is on us to gain the wisdom from Buddhas teaching.

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 8:39 PM Mon, 10:39 PM Tue, 4:39 AM Tue, 9:09 AM Tue, 11:39 AM Tue, 1:39 PM