Thread: Thich Nhat Hanh awaits the end of life

Thich Nhat Hanh awaits the end of life

A recent article from Time magazine:

The Monk Who Taught the World Mindfulness Awaits the End of This Life

At a Buddhist temple outside Hue, Vietnam’s onetime capital, 92-year-old Thich Nhat Hanh has come to quietly “transition,” as his disciples put it. The ailing celebrity monk—quoted by Presidents and hailed by Oprah Winfrey as “one of the most influential spiritual leaders of our times”—is refusing medication prescribed after a stroke in 2014. He lies in a villa in the grounds of the 19th century Tu Hieu Pagoda, awaiting liberation from the cyclical nature of existence.

Continues at the link:

http://time.com/5511729/monk-mindfulness-art-of-dying/

Thank you for this article, Aloka.

Had a loose association with Master Hahn in 1963 while in Phu Bai, just outside of Hue', while serving in the U.S. Military as an advisor to South VN Army. Am familiar with the Temple mentioned in the article. Remember a statue of Buddha in a Temple covered in cut, reflective glass, which burst with sunlight as the sun rose in the east. Hue' was destroyed during the VN war. Hope to revisit before I die. Shame I cannot leave now to visit with Master Hahn before he dies. May he find release in accordance with his efforts and accomplishments.

Forums Member
    Interestingly, I have read in a different article that his closest companions refute the claims made in the Time article. I don't know if it's emotional denial or fact.

Quote Originally Posted by lisehull View Post
    Interestingly, I have read in a different article that his closest companions refute the claims made in the Time article. I don't know if it's emotional denial or fact.
    Hi Lise,

I'd be interested in reading the other article, can you post a link to it, please ?

Thanks very much, Lise.

Forums Member
    Here's a post from Plum Village about Thay, dated early February. https://plumvillage.org/news/thay-update-tet-2019/

Los Angeles Mexico City London Colombo Kuala Lumpur Sydney
Mon, 3:41 PM Mon, 5:41 PM Mon, 11:41 PM Tue, 4:11 AM Tue, 6:41 AM Tue, 8:41 AM